PDA

View Full Version : "Too many people seem to have no clue what proper raise amounts are"

codewarrior
10-02-2004, 06:01 PM
I'm spawning this thread as an offshoot of the "What range of hands do you put the average UTG raiser on?" thread.

So, we are at a table where everyone seems to be playing limit when they raise and re-raise. How do you change your game? Do you stick to your regular betting patterns and starting hand requirements, or do you play along with the crowd and loosen up PF?

I have tried both with mixed results for each, and am curious to hear others take on the matter. It also seems to be a trend that ebbs and wanes, and, for me at least, it at an ebb. Perhaps it is for others as well right now, so should be relevant.

Discuss...

My name is codewarrior, and I approved this post.

betgo
10-02-2004, 06:07 PM
I find it best to play correctly regardless of how my opponents are playing. I put in normal raises and reraises with strong hands.

However, I make some adjustments. If there are a lot of people limping in, I will limp with small pairs, suited gappers, Axs, etc. If it is normal to limp, I will limp with speculative hands I would normally raise with. If there are a lot of maniacs, I play tight. If the table is tight later on, I play aggressive.

CheckRaise
10-02-2004, 06:52 PM
Yes, my favorite are the people that min raise back and forth with each other in a NL game.

brett66
10-02-2004, 07:38 PM
You've mentioned the baby bets....What about when people overbet the pot? I don't understand, especially with small blinds (say 10/20), when someone brings it in for 200 or more, for example. Does anyone else think the risk is too high compared to the reward?

If their cards are that good, they are chasing everyone away...If they are bluffing, well first of all, why bother with such low blinds? Second, if someone wakes up with a big hand, these people are most likely screwed.

Can someone tell me if I'm way off base with my reasoning here?

Thanks.

codewarrior
10-02-2004, 07:49 PM
I think the reasoning here may be "I have TT-QQ, and I'll be damned if A2o is going to outdraw me without paying for it"

At least at the low limits (< $20+2): at the higher limits, it screams strength to me. They are hoping the overbet induces a call into their set, flopped straight, etc. that may not be the ultimate nuts, but may very well be at the time.

brett66
10-02-2004, 07:59 PM
Sorry, CW, i was more referring to pre-flop, and one of the first few hands of the sng...I play buy-ins from $16 turbo to $109 non-turbos...especially in the higher buy in ones, why risk from $200 to your whole stack for $30 in blinds? And let's say you're lucky enough to start with KK or AA, I'd like someone to call my raise, or better yet, re-raise.

Comments?

codewarrior
10-02-2004, 08:05 PM
My point was that their cards were OK, but not that good, so they are "protecting" their hand by overbetting.

i.e. TT on a 259 rainbow board