PDA

View Full Version : Raising on the button with tons of limpers.

winky51
10-02-2004, 05:46 PM
So reading my books it recommends raising on the buttton with many suited large face cards, KJs, ATs, KQs, AJs.

I understand pairs with 5 callers and why you raise.

I have even seen, unless my memory serves me WRONG, raising on the button with lessor suited hands that play well in multiway pots (JTs, T9s, Axs?? dont remember)

Now hands like AKs-ATs I can totaly see doing that. But what about lessor hands like QJs, KJs, JTs. Bad players play any ace and in a table fo 6 callers at least one of them will have the ace so mathematically you hand is not #1.

So is it because of possibilities? From my calculations with a high suited connector or one gap you have about a 25% chance of flopping a good draw or a strong hand (trips, quads, FH, 2 pair, top half of a draw, straight, flush, belly buster)

Are these the reasons why it is suggested to raise with these hands?

More in the pot in case you hit and since you hit something wonderful 1 in 4 its worth it when so many are in 5+.

Deception.

And people will check to you on the flop giving you a free card. Then if you pick up a 4 card draw you can acutally call with 5 or more callers.

Are these the right reasons???

nothumb
10-02-2004, 05:50 PM
You've more or less got it. Against a lot of limpers your hand is far better than average and stands to win more than its share. Raising big suited cards for value does all the things you said and may also give you odds to continue to the turn with a marginal holding if the flop only nicks you.

However, in the hand you posted earlier, with only one limper, it is a raise because it's likely the best hand, you might knock the blinds out and play a weak limper heads up. In fact, given your results, depending on what exactly the SB held in that hand, not raising may have cost you the pot.

NT

winky51
10-02-2004, 05:59 PM
Actually he had T7 unsuitsed so yes it did.

I am still learning but I get better every month and I am winning money. in the positive cash flow.

Danenania
10-02-2004, 06:03 PM
In multi-way pots, it doesn't matter much how well your hand stacks up against each other hand individually. What matters is your equity (how good your hand is versus every other hand combined). QJs or JTs have a lot more ways to win than A2o.

joker122
10-02-2004, 06:16 PM
One concept you are neglecting is that when you raise preflop with these hands, you are making the pot big so the players will go farther with thier hands. This is what you want when you flop a good draw.