PDA

View Full Version : A Quick PL Hold-em question

10-22-2001, 01:26 AM
1-2 blinds, I have 78s and limp on the button, I am the third player in other than BB. Small Blind raises 6$. Flop comes down AsJs 5. He bets about 3/4 of the pot, and everyone folds to me. I decide I will try and win the pot there, and I raise him the full amount with my flush draw. My stack is about 180, his is over 900. He re-raises me my final 111$. I fold. Was this the correct play? I know many will say calling raise pre-flop with suited connectors is bad, but I factored in the value of the button, and decided since the raiser was in SB and out of position, it would give me a more even playing field. Comments are appreciated.

10-22-2001, 11:56 AM
I doubt he did this with a flush draw so if you hit your good. You shuld have called because you were getting the odds. You need 2-1 for the flush draw and were getting a little better.

As for the preflop play I'll let others talk to that - Hyper

10-22-2001, 12:34 PM
BTF calling is marginal. On the flop when you are reraised you

are already pot comitted and hence you should call on the flop.

It's not like you have a big stack to protect. Raising on the flop when the small blind raises is very debatable espcecially when

an Ace comes and he has a big stack and you are short stacked.

You are probably better off taking a card off cheaply on the flop and playing accordingly. If you don't get there on the turn folding if you face a pot sized bet is much easier. If he doesn't have an Ace he may even check on the turn or he might

get fancy and give you a free card.

Bruce

10-22-2001, 12:50 PM
calling the pre-flop was good play in P/L....not something you want to do too often, but should do from time to time

I would't even say that your effort to win right there was out of line, not a bad play...but you caould have played hand for less $$$

last but not least, hyperbolic was right about your folding being a mistake because you did have good pot odds

folding here would only be correct if you were very short on $$$$ which, of course, would then mean that some of your earlier actions were wrong.

10-22-2001, 07:30 PM