PDA

View Full Version : Letting in hands you dominate vs. isolation (lil verbose)

cagedman
10-02-2004, 03:09 PM
In my personal experience, big broadways seem to be conceptually hardest to understand in a NL context.

Deciding not to cold call with marginal broadways hands is easy: the likeliness that cold calling leaves you contributing a uniform proportion to the pot in a situation where you're likely to not get your fare share of pot equity (a call with these will leave you even, a slight favorite, or a big dog).

The sound reason for not cold calling marginal big broadways leaves me very conflicted about how to play the premium ones.

This same situation occurs big hand vs pocket pairs in the field; you've got to make sure you've got odds to call to hit your trips when you've got the small pocks, but you must also be careful to deprive these reverse implied odds when you've got the big hands preflop. This is pretty easy.

With broadways you can't just 'do the opposite' when holding premium vs marginal (aka not raise to let in the junkier broadways) because it leaves you open to freak two pairs, people hitting trips, etc. etc. etc.

You seem damned if you do, damned if you dont. If you raise these types of hands (e.g. AQ, KQ, AK) you're going to fold out the hands you crush (AJ, KJ, JQ, Axs, etc) and leave yourself drawing thin vs AA,KK,QQ, etc. If you don't raise, you're leaving everyone the chance to do damage to the very vulnerable only hand you realistically expect to make money with (top pair).

How do we deal with this conundrum?

Sephus
10-02-2004, 07:34 PM
if hit TPTK or similar with AK, KQ, or AQ i will continue to put money in the pot until i hit resistance. if they are leading the betting, i drop it, if i'm leading it, i keep pushing. basically, buckle down and read hands. (this is why i do a lot of minraising with these types of hands, so i can get the 2-pairs and sets to reflexively overbet because they think i'm coming along ). you really want to be in control of the betting.

this way i can still win big pots with less than two pair and not lose many big ones against a wacky, unexpected hand or set.