PDA

View Full Version : Layne Flack to the left of me, Gus Hanson to the right

DesertCat
10-02-2004, 02:16 PM
Not really. In reality, my opponents just have similar hand selection preferences to Layne and Gus's, but none of the aggression. In the last few days I've been playing the loosest tables of my career, average VPIP 50%, PFR always < 5%. In fact, my favorite table was 61% VPIP, 0% PFR.

So why am I posting this? Because in the last three days playing these tables I'm down 85BB. It's not a bad beat story, mostly just bad luck and I can accept that. I'm posting this because I'm thinking I should tweak my style for these tables (and worried that the bad beats are causing bad habits), and would like to get advice from forum members on these low aggro, high volume tables where everyone takes their hands to the river.

Reviewing the worst hands of the losing streak I've pinpointed one major leak, pocket rockets (down 17BB). Seriously though, my big pairs (TT and above) are net losers, my small pairs (99 and below) are net winners. It's clear I'm having trouble laying down the big pairs when beat. Other than that, I see two major lessons for me. First, stop pumping draws unless they are very strong, as it's difficult to get anyone to lay down any weaker draw. Second, stop laying down decent hands early, which contradicts my big pairs experience, and I'm not sure how to reconcile it.

In the second case after getting rivered a few too many times it appears I might be trying to save too many bets. Is the following an example of this?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, Hero calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: (18 SB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(9 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds.

Turn: (12 BB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero folds, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Button folds.

River: (16 BB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+2 checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks.

Final Pot: 16 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
BB has 5s Kc (high card, ace).
UTG+2 has 2c Td (one pair, twos).
MP2 has Ks Js (one pair, jacks).
MP3 has 5h 6s (one pair, sixes).
Outcome: MP2 wins 16 BB. </font>

I see two potential errors. The missed reraise on the flop that might have cleaned up some outs (though with this table, who knows). And not calling down from the turn. I don't know what I was thinking on the flop, but on the turn I felt like someone had to have a better kicker than me, and that a five would at best split the pot and might lose to a six (while second three might make someone else a straight).

Finally, has anyone noticed that it's much more difficult to four table when you are playing loose tables? My VPIP the last three days has been 23%, which concerned me initially, but reviewing the hands showed that more big pots offers more opportunities (Q9o on the button after 6 limpers is my worst example), I don't think a 23% VPIP is bad at a 50% table.

But the bad side affect is more situations where I have two (or three) tough, simultaneous, decisions and this has definitely hurt my performance. Specifically, I pondered calling (or reraising) the reraise of my straight by a rivered full house for too long, causing PartyPoker to fold my nut flush draw on another table (losing me 15BB as the river completed my flush). That, and my declining bankroll, has forced me to start three tabling. So as I sit here wallowing in my own misery, any advice or even cheap shots will be appreciated...

DesertCat
10-02-2004, 05:37 PM
Had another nice morning. Down 115BB now. Lost. Totally lost...

joker122
10-02-2004, 05:45 PM
On the flop you have top pair + BD nut flush draw + a gutshot in a big pot, so it's definatly worth a raise.

Alexthegreat
10-02-2004, 05:50 PM
It's not so bad to lose 115 BBs multitabling in the span of a week.....I wouldn't be too upset...but you should consider doing less tables at a time until you start winning again

On the hand that you posted, you can't possibly think of folding on the turn......the pot was absolutely huge, no one raised the flop, you have a gut shot straight draw to go along with your top pair.....I think you should be raising the turn, forcing the field to call 2 cold, and then seeing what happens.....

Having top pair and a gut shot draw and not raising at some point is weak to me, and folding is certainly not an option to me......

Alexthegreat
10-02-2004, 06:31 PM
I don't like raising the flop.....you are losing to another ace, and you'd like people to hang around so your gut shot doesn't lose it's value

Raise the turn

DesertCat
10-02-2004, 06:48 PM
I don't understand the reasoning for raising the turn instead of the flop. In either case I can be losing to a bigger kicker.

joker122
10-02-2004, 07:09 PM
Why would you raise the turn instead of the flop?