PDA

View Full Version : Playing a Big Hand in PLH

10-20-2001, 05:29 AM
Same 4-handed 1-1 PLH game as described in previous post. As a fairly new PLH player I have very little experience with playing big hands and am generally unsure of how to do so. The following is I think a good example.

Cutoff and button limp to me (they could have a wide range of hands here), I check in SB with 26s, BB checks. Flop comes 267 with the 2 and 6 of the same suit. I have the table covered, and the other three stacks are between $100 and $150 or so each. How much do I like my hand here? Should I feel good about getting all in here given the depth of the money? Do I need to protect my hand with strong actions, or would I rather trap someone with 7 or a straight and/or flush draw?

I adopt the plan of trying to get as much money as possible out of other made hands and maybe trap someone semibluffing a draw, and to do this I decide check-raising is my best option. Especially because I know the button is an aggressive player and if no one has a hand at least I can pick up $4 when he bets when checked to; this also means I doubt a free-card will fall which I think would be bad because of the large number of scare cards. Comments?

Anyway I check, BB checks, cutoff bets pot ($4), button folds, I raise pot ($16 to go), BB folds, cutoff calls. Hmm...

Turn is a 2... now I have a big hand. Pot has $36, I have cutoff covered who has $100 behind or so. Now what? If he indeed has a big draw I want him to make it so I can get payed off, but on a seemingly innocuous card it would look suspicious for me to check after check-raising the flop. And how much do I bet? Help.

I end up checking and he checks behind. River is a queen (board is 2672Q) and puts the flush out there. Now what? Check-raise hoping either he has a flush or will try to represent one? Bet out hoping for a raise from a flush (or maybe a call from something like 7Q)? It's hard to figure out how I get payed off here. Again, what should I consider in making this decision?

Thanks in advance,

Alex