PDA

View Full Version : AKo and rags flop

LawsNStats
10-02-2004, 12:40 PM
(1/2$) I have been having trouble with AK lately... I'll raise pre-flop, usually get one calling (many time the BB or SB). Rags will flop. It's checked to me, I bet... it's called.

The turn is checked to me, sometimes I bet, other times I check. Sometimes I'll bet and be called all the way to the river.

Is it better to bet the flop, check the turn? Bet flop, turn and be called all the way through?

What is the most profitable way to play overcards over time in this scenario if the game is typical and I don't have much information on the opponent.

Bigdaddydvo
10-02-2004, 12:44 PM
This has plagued hold em players for a long time...the swing and a miss w/AK. Some guidelines: If I raise preflop, I 95% of the time bet the flop whether or not I hit or miss. If it's 3 handed or less, I'll bet the turn. 5 handed or more, someone probably got enough of the flop to showdown the river...in that case I'll likely take the free turn card. Read the SSHE section on overcards that miss...it should set you straight.

Noodles
10-02-2004, 12:45 PM
yea i am coming around to thinking that betting the flop with a view to getting a free river card is the besy,betting the flop to try to fold them dsoesnt work that much for me,then betting the turn doesnt fold them either,

I have too often bet the AK all the way for some fishy to catch a pair on the riv,wasting money i feel

LawsNStats
10-02-2004, 01:24 PM
Sounds like the best was to play it is to bet the flop, bet the turn, check the river? Again this is in a typical game without knowing much about the caller.

Say you check the river and the BB caller bets, which is likely once you show weakness. Do I call or fold?

I read the overcards section, and he seems to explain multi-way, or what to do with a pair flopping, but never what to do with the rags situation with a SB or BB caller played to the river.

I fear if I fold I may be too often losing with the best hand--and by betting through the percent I'm winning isn't adding up to the total losses.

Noodles
10-02-2004, 01:54 PM
well i am just saying from my experiance that it is a waste of time to keep betting into them,if the flop is all low cards then overcrad will call.if it contains say a j or Q or T,then usually somenone has hit,