PDA

View Full Version : Fold AKo?

Bigdaddydvo
10-02-2004, 12:19 PM
Just after the first break of one of those Party $5 buy in tourneys and I'm doing fine w/T4500. Blinds now 50-100. I open raise in MP w/AKo to 300. Folded around to a guy who was the co-chip leader at the table...had me covered by about T75. He thinks for a second and then pushes all in. He was really a LAG-y type that had pushed a lot of people off of hands to build his stack. After pondering, I thought he made his push with an ace and a smaller kicker, or with at best a small pocket pair. (AA and KK didn't worry me for mathematical reasons and for his style). Since the money in the pot made a coinflip OK, and since I put him on a hand worse than mine, I called.

He shows 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif T /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Community:

T /images/graemlins/club.gif 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif K /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I'm now out in 858th place.

Everyone loves to second guess, but assuming there is 50% of a coinflip, 50% of me having a dominating hand, and with 300 of my 4500 chips in the pot, is it proper to gamble here and risk the whole tournament? I'd appreciate any feedback.

Bigdaddydvo
10-02-2004, 12:36 PM
Some more info to show where my read on the villian came from.

Earlier, w/blinds 25-50, he open raised to 100 in EP. I had A /images/graemlins/club.gif T /images/graemlins/club.gif in the BB. SB and myself both called the raise.

Flop J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif

SB checks, and with the raggedly flop I bet 300 to try to pick up the pot. He goes all in for 2300 or so. SB thinks for a second and calls. I quickly fold.

SB: Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif ; Villian A /images/graemlins/spade.gif K /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Turn: K /images/graemlins/club.gif

River: 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

That hand stuck with me that this guy will push marginal hands really hard to win pots...and contributed to my subsequent read.

MLG
10-02-2004, 12:45 PM
It is quite clear that you made the right call. Cards Happen. When analzing these situations you need to ask yourself, "would I have posted this hand if I had won it." Here the answer is clearly no.

The interesting hands are the ones which you have questions about regardless of the outcome.

Bigdaddydvo
10-02-2004, 01:23 PM
Results aside...I wanted to get to a deeper "is it right to gamble at this point in the tournament with AKo and the blinds relatively small against another big stack." That question is still there whether or not I win the hand.

I appreciate the feedback though.