PDA

View Full Version : Preflop PLH decision

10-20-2001, 05:07 AM
I'm playing in a 4-handed 1-1 PL HE game, average stack around $150. One player has significant full handed big bet experience, but otherwise we are all new to the game. I make it $4 to go UTG (=cutoff), which is the standard open, with AKs. Button folds, SB raises pot (=$9), BB folds, up to me. SB has taken significant hits and has only about $45 behind (I have him covered). A little history... ealier he raised pot UTG, I reraised pot from the SB with AKo, and he folded, claiming (and I believe him) that he had AQ. On the other hand, he is a guy who plays so much worse than normal when he's stuck, and he's stuck bad. He's not insane, but he can get out of line... and at the same time he folded AQ 4-handed. How should I balance this information in determining his range of hands, and what is the best response here (assume that if I reraise pot and he calls then we're both pot stuck, but that either of us could get away from the hand on the flop if I just call). The only other information I might use here is that our recent post-flop play history has been good, with him laying down to my pot bets a lot, but if he maintains aggression in the hand I'll definitely have trouble figuring out where I am, especially if the flop comes really raggy. I'm most interested in the process of determining the best strategy given certain assumptions, but any general comments are of course welcome. Thanks in advance.

Alex

10-20-2001, 03:52 PM
With the 26, you should bet the turn when you make your full house, and I would bet the whole pot. The reason for doing this, is so that he will percieve you trying to bet out his flush draw. If you make this bet, he will probably put you on an overpair, and then will decide whether to call or not. The point is, you should put the pressure on him. He may have you beat! A set of 7s is not an unlikely hand for him on the flop, but I still think your best play in this situation is to bet the pot and then see how he reacts.

10-20-2001, 04:13 PM
nt