PDA

View Full Version : 1/2 six handed tables

www.cardplayer.diaryx.com
10-02-2004, 11:31 AM
I haven't found an FAQ on these short handed tables so I'll ask a few basic questions.

How much should a person loosen up pre-flop in comparison to 10 handed tables. I've seen people who raise with any ace and I can't imagine this being correct. Any suggestions on playing these tables would be appreciated. Or if someone could point me in the direction of some good posts. Also it seems the beats I've taken so far have been absolutely HORRIBLE. Thanks for the help.

tripdad
10-02-2004, 11:41 AM
i think the term "loosening up" is the wrong term. i don't think you play more hands percentage wise, you just play different hands.

for example, in a full ring, it is often correct to call UTG with any suited ace because you expect 5 or more to enter the pot, and the games are typically passive. in a short game, this becomes a muck.

in a full game, a hand like AToffsuit is a muck in EP. in a short game, this is a raising hand for most.

high cards win in short handed play, so hands like KJoffsuit gain value, but suited connectors lose value.

change the TYPE of hands you play, not the quantity. you will end up mucking many hands in short games that you normally can play in full games, and adding hands that you normally muck in short games. it ends up pretty much evening itself out to where your VPIP% should not go up at all.

cheers!

Peter Harris
10-02-2004, 12:04 PM
i noticed an earlier thread mentioning people had a 19% VP$IP in 6-max, comparing this to my 18% at full ring i realised it's not loosening rather than changing hands.

However, the questions still stand on what is a raising hand - Ax? A8+? this centres around the % time someone else at a table has an ace to make yours dominating (see stats in super/system).

is KJ a raising hand? as i was told QJ wasn't. You get the idea, what % PFR is sensible?

Regards,
Pete Harris

samdash
10-02-2004, 12:13 PM
KJo is a tough hand to play right at the 6 handed tables. If I'm utg I'll usually fold it but sometimes raise. I usually start open raising it in 2nd position. But I'm utg limps and I'm in 2nd I think this is a good fold. However with 2 limpers and placing me on the button I will raise this. Position and expected # of opponents are very key in deciding when to play hands like this.