PDA

View Full Version : Pot Limit Omaha

10-19-2001, 04:51 AM
God I hate this game.

6 handed games. Stacks are around 200 except for one big stack of several hundred.

I have KQJT with the KJ of diamonds.

Blinds are 1-2, pot limit.

The gigantic stack opens for 4, I make it 10 in the cutoff.

One blind defends, the big stack calls.

The flop comes QT7 with two hearts.

The blind bets into the pot, the big stack folds, I call.

The turn is an innocuous 4. The blind now checks. I think about it for awhile and bet the pot, $93. He folds, showing a set of sevens.

Is this any kind of way to play PL Omaha? Did I already mention I hate this game?

natedogg

10-19-2001, 01:56 PM
Post all Omaha hands on the "Other Poker Games" Forum (see Ray Zee and 3 Bet Brett responses in the "No Limit O8 post by Omaha Whale)

10-19-2001, 02:14 PM
By convention, many posters have been lumping Pot Limit Omaha into the acceptable topics of this forum. No one seems to mind.

It's probably because this forum is the only one that explicitly references Pot Limit and No Limit forms of poker. The rest of the forums (including your favorite, the "other poker games" forum) mostly seem to focus on that form of poker that, a limon will gladly tell you, is for american pussies who cry themselves to sleep at the thought of betting more than 1/10 of the pot on the river.

natedogg

10-19-2001, 02:46 PM
have not decided yet, but I may like omaha better ---I am leaning that way because in omaha I EXPECT the draw outs more than I do in hold-em...????

but in that hand which you describe, if river card had been a 2, you wouldn't have expected the three 7s....so still lots of surprizes everwhere

10-19-2001, 08:22 PM
The reason these posts are here is that a lot of posters see the High Stakes, Pot Limit, No Limit, and don't realize that this is a Hold'em forum. Plus, they want us to be impressed that they are playing in higher stakes games.

All Omaha posts belong on the Other Poker Games forum. We'll still be impressed that you are playing PL or NL.

10-19-2001, 09:12 PM
I know it's sometimes hard to convey or pick up sarcasm through a written medium, so I won't blame you for missing it. Maybe you haven't read any of limon's posts, but I was being facetious.

Also, you're right that most people see the Pot Limit/No Limit description of this forum and they post any form of poker that is played PL/NL. That is the correct use of this forum. I think that is fine and most of the regular posters to this forum go along with it, as it seems to make sense. Even more importantly, nobody minds.

And, in all seriousness, posting to the "other poker games" forum won't help you a lot because limit O/8 players just won't have much to say about a pot limit omaha high only hand. It's worlds apart. There's few things more dangerous to your bankroll than taking advice about how to play no limit/pot limit from exclusively limit players. And vice versa. If Huck Seed or Men Nguyen or Phil Hellmuth or Mike Matusow try to tell you how to play limit Hold'em, run, don't walk away, run.

The "High Stakes Hold'em" title is misleading, because VERY few players post high stakes limit hold'em questions here, and the questions brought up when playing a hand of 150-300 can easily be addressed on the medium limit forum by simply qualifying the hand as from "a very very tough game".

In other words, this forum is absolutely the correct place to post PL Omaha hands, PL Mississippi stud hands, and any other kind of pot limit or no limit hand. This forum is also the only place you should be posting penny-stakes no limit hands too, for that matter.

Try going to the "small limit" forum and getting advice from the 3-6 hold'em players on how to play JJ before the flop in no limit hold'em with blinds of .50/1.00. The fact that the stakes are small will have no affect on the chances that you get the right advice, which will be close to nil.

natedogg

10-20-2001, 12:59 AM

10-20-2001, 11:08 AM
Absolutely perfect but keep your head up for the Trip Q's that will one day clean you out.

Bob

10-21-2001, 03:37 AM
Plus, if you look at the cover of Ciaffone's book, you'll see that Omaha is a type of hold 'em poker. So there. Nyaaa!

10-26-2001, 01:42 AM
hey natedogg, where do you play?