PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical voting question

MarkL444
10-02-2004, 07:59 AM
I am 21 years old and do not vote, nor have I registered. Most of my friends are the same way. Now, lets say that I decide that I want to vote, and its too late to register. You and only you know some way that I can register late (I am unaware that you have this knowledge), but I have made it well known that I plan on voting for the guy opposite of who you want to win (assume just 2 parties).

MarkL444
10-02-2004, 08:30 AM
If you are willing to show me how to register, then great. This shows that you care about getting youth to vote, which I guess is good for the nation. However, it also just goes to show that my vote does not mean a damn thing.

If you pretend you dont know how, then you probably care more about yourself and winning than the benefit of the nation as a whole.

IrishHand
10-02-2004, 10:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This shows that you care about getting youth to vote, which I guess is good for the nation. However, it also just goes to show that my vote does not mean a damn thing.

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually, it means I believe in democracy and would prefer that every eligible voter did so. This nation would be a much different (and better) place if we had a turnout in the 90s.

MMMMMM
10-02-2004, 11:20 AM
I think "getting youth to vote" is not necessarily a good thing at all (although some youths may be well-informed and logical enough to employ a rational decision-making process).

By and large youth is pretty ignorant, and more likely than older voters to analyze things emotionally rather than rationally. Youth also has a strong tendency towards strong idealism which is so impractical that it can never work. You may be an exception.

That said, I would not withhold voter registration information from anyone if they asked me and I knew the answer.

MarkL444
10-02-2004, 11:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
By and large youth is pretty ignorant, and more likely than older voters to analyze things emotionally rather than rationally.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I dont get. I have this ex-gf who is super gung-ho republican. i know for a fact that she never even considers voting anything but. The details of the situation do not matter. Democrats are evil in her eyes and she wouldnt be caught dead voting for one. This is something that is going to stick with her for the rest of her life. I can only assume this is how many people are. Its just plain stupid.

[ QUOTE ]
You may be an exception.

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe, but I am SERIOUSLY more interested in what I am going to have for dinner tonight than who wins this election.

Jimbo
10-02-2004, 12:11 PM
So you think someone should help you circumvent the election laws just to help a baby faced child cast an uninformed vote? I do not think that would be a prudent decision.

Jimbo

MarkL444
10-02-2004, 12:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So you think someone should help you circumvent the election laws just to help a baby faced child cast an uninformed vote? I do not think that would be a prudent decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

You completely missed the point and you know it. But you sure do talk fancy.

Jimbo
10-02-2004, 01:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You completely missed the point and you know it. But you sure do talk fancy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually you missed the only valid point in your own post. Who you were planning on voting for would have no effect on the decsion of most people when considering helping you to break the election laws. Now I do agree a democrat would be more likely to help you than a Republican but that was not implied anywhere in your post.

Jimbo

tolbiny
10-02-2004, 02:09 PM
Markl44 posed a hypothetical, he never mentioned that it would break any laws. If it was legal would it change your answer?

Matty
10-02-2004, 04:11 PM
If we were in Ohio or Florida I wouldn't show you. Otherwise I would.

knightunner
10-02-2004, 04:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Actually, it means I believe in democracy and would prefer that every eligible voter did so. This nation would be a much different (and better) place if we had a turnout in the 90s.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100%

~knight

Jimbo
10-02-2004, 06:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Markl44 posed a hypothetical, he never mentioned that it would break any laws. If it was legal would it change your answer?

[/ QUOTE ]

He wrote [ QUOTE ]
Now, lets say that I decide that I want to vote, and its too late to register.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is no different than writing "I want to murder my ex-wife but I cannot locate her. Will you help me?" I did not say it was illegal but even you might agree that it would be. His hypothetical was no different. If he wanted it to be a legal situation it would have been quite simpe to construct the situation to be so. In fact much simpler than how he chose to word his phrase. It is therefore reasonable to assume the illegality of the request was most important.

Jimbo

tolbiny
10-02-2004, 07:03 PM
Its all subject to interpretation- i took it as
"i want to vote, but its to late to register- and you knew of a loophole that would allow me to register legally"

Jimbo
10-02-2004, 07:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Its all subject to interpretation- i took it as
"i want to vote, but its to late to register- and you knew of a loophole that would allow me to register legally"

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough, I can see that.

Jimbo

Abednego
10-02-2004, 07:50 PM
I care about the nation as a whole and that is why winning is important. Since you would vote in a manner that is contrary to what I think is best for the nation I would not inform you on how to register. I actually hope all the people who do not support my candidate have migraine headaches on election day and stay home. In my opinion this would be best for the nation. If you don't see it this way then I am afraid you don't understand the nature of the political struggle the nation is engaged in. It is serious business and the differences are differences in principle. If you are steadfast in your principles why would you want to compromise them. We are a divided nation to be sure and everybody should vote. Everybody should get registered to vote. But the hell with the opposition. I want my principles to prevail ..... that is what it best for the nation. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

MarkL444
10-02-2004, 08:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That is no different than writing "I want to murder my ex-wife but I cannot locate her. Will you help me?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Your analogy is absurd. What I meant was to create a problem that balances how much you care about the election, nation, youth, etc. vs how much you care about winning. Assume not only is it legal for me to register late with your method but me voting is considered good and beneficial for the nation.

Rooster71
10-02-2004, 10:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you are willing to show me how to register, then great. This shows that you care about getting youth to vote, which I guess is good for the nation. However, it also just goes to show that my vote does not mean a damn thing.

If you pretend you dont know how, then you probably care more about yourself and winning than the benefit of the nation as a whole.

[/ QUOTE ]
It is not my (or any other individual's) responsibility to show someone how to vote. If someone wants to cast a vote, it is their own responsibility to register and vote, not depend on someone to show them how. In your hypothetical situation, if you cared about voting then you would not have waited so long to register.

Jimbo
10-02-2004, 10:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Your analogy is absurd.

[/ QUOTE ] Not at all, in fact it was a perfect analogy worded in the same manner in which you phrased your question.

[ QUOTE ]
What I meant was to create a problem that balances how much you care about the election, nation, youth, etc. vs how much you care about winning.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then perhaps that is what you should have asked in the first place rather than attempting to be cute and ask something else entirely. Why must I be the resident psychic on this forum everytime someone writes something other than what they intended?

[ QUOTE ]
Assume not only is it legal for me to register late with your method but me voting is considered good and beneficial for the nation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Making that assumption I would tell you incorrectly how to register making you think that you are in fact legally registered. I would then propose a challenge to the election should my candidate of preference lose said election. There is absolutely no way I could be expected to think that if you are voting the opposite of me that it would be good for the country. An incorrect vote is much worse than no vote at all.

Happy now?

Jimbo

MarkL444
10-02-2004, 11:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Happy now?

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel sorry for you.

Jimbo
10-02-2004, 11:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I feel sorry for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet you really don't. I'm using that psychic energy you think I have.

Jimbo

MarkL444
10-02-2004, 11:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I bet you really don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right. This is all just me fuming over my jealousy of your hip website.

Abednego
10-02-2004, 11:37 PM
Just so that I am clear on this. Is your straight-ticket correctly-voting republican GF the one who is wisely withholding this info from you? ..... Or is this some hypothethical childish arguement that you picked a fight with her on and she won't give the answer you want so your ego is bruised deal?

And since she is republican and supports Bush and you aren't going to be able to cancel out her vote in the important swing state of MI your doubly peaved? Well don't feel bad ..... she hasn't cut you off has she?

I remember my first wife cut me off once ...... I didn't find out about it for six months.

MarkL444
10-03-2004, 12:28 AM
I dont talk to her anymore