PDA

View Full Version : Video Card Problem...This is Weird

fsuplayer
10-02-2004, 07:57 AM
I just recently installed a video card and second monitor. It has worked great with one exception.
I have the left screen set up as the main screen, and the right screen often has some sort of "static", like little lines filtering through it.
Its there almost all the time, usually very small and not too bothersome, but this morning it is very bad and makes the right screen pretty much unusable.

tech support for the card (visiontek raedon 7k pci) is out for the weekend, so any kind of tips, advice or suggestions would be awesome.

thanks in advance,

fsuplayer

btw, i have switched the screens and then the other monitor has the problem, so its not just the monitor itself.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
10-02-2004, 08:26 AM
Sounds faulty maybe. Did you install the latest drivers?
Goto www.ati.com (http://www.ati.com)
If that doesnt help, its faulty or your refresh rate needs to be changed.

fsuplayer
10-02-2004, 08:32 AM
yeah, i did install the latest drivers the other day, it didnt help.

If that doesnt help, its faulty or your refresh rate needs to be changed.

It only has one refresh rate and that is 60 hz. I thought it may be faulty, but wanted to explore the other possibilities.

thanks

fsuplayer

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
10-02-2004, 08:53 AM
Change the monitors refresh rate to 60
Also deguass the monitors, need to do that every now and then anyways.

fsuplayer
10-02-2004, 09:38 AM
Change the monitors refresh rate to 60

that's the only setting

Also deguass the monitors, need to do that every now and then anyways.

what is that and how do i do it?

edtost
10-02-2004, 11:33 AM
as a temporary fix, try plugging in an extra video card (eg your old one) and plugging one monitor into each card.

astroglide
10-02-2004, 03:42 PM
move the pc to a different location to see if it's interference

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
10-02-2004, 07:08 PM
There should be a function within the monitor that says "degauss" or has a picture of a magnet w/ a line thru it. This demagnetized the monitor. You should also try changing the resolution to see if that improves it.

ps 60 hz sucks, buy a new monitor

fsuplayer
10-02-2004, 09:00 PM
ps 60 hz sucks, buy a new monitor

I have two 20.1" Dell 2001 FP's. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Blarg
10-02-2004, 09:58 PM
Not all monitors have a degauss function, but expensive ones like that one should.

It sounds like your software isn't loaded right. Monitors usually have lots of potential refresh rates, even though they might burn out at too high a refresh rate or your video card might not be able to push a certain resolution at too high refresh rates.

But ANY video card should be able to do 60 hz as a refresh rate. And so should your monitor. So it sounds like your software's to blame on your only getting 60. something's funky.

Older cheaper monitors would sometimes go on the fritz when next to one another sometimes, because of improper shielding. Speakers next to monitors that aren't properly shielded can do that too. Do you have a boom box nearby? What happens when you move your speakers closer or further away, from one monitor then the next? Do you still have the problem when you put the monitors really far away from each other?

Speakers and monitors are supposed to be shielded these days, but actually it rarely happens that the shielding actually is somehow weirdly defective.

Don't let your warranties expire while you figure this stuff out!

fsuplayer
10-02-2004, 10:19 PM
thanks for the explanation blarg. i moved my speakers away and it seemed to help a lot. this problem will come and go, so we'll see if works tomarrow.

thanks for the advice,
\
fsuplayer

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
10-03-2004, 12:46 AM
Youd didnt mention they were FP's. Those are totally sweet!

Boopotts
10-03-2004, 02:28 AM
If you (or anyone else) know how to set this up I would really, really appreciate some assistance. I have an HP Pavilion and the OS is XP. I also bought a video card some time ago, but apparently I don't need it (?). Anyway, a pm or an email at boopotts@yahoo.com would really make my day.

Thanks!
Guy

fsuplayer
10-03-2004, 09:03 AM
not meaning to appoint them as the resident computer experts, but randr and astroglide gave me some very useful advice.