PDA

View Full Version : MLB 10/2

MicroBob
10-02-2004, 07:53 AM
COL +270
PIT +102

COL - At the risk of opening a huge can of worms....I'm going to restate my position that I don't think the Astros are THAT huge favorites here. This one is Shawn Estes against Roy Oswalt.
Oswalt's been reasonably strong of late and Estes has been pretty mediocre. But I think the Astros are no more than a 66% favorite in this matchup which means that +200 on the Rockies would be break-even and +270 gives you adequate value to take the Rockies.

PIT - Josh Fogg against Todd Van Poppel - Fogg can be good or lousy. I'm hoping he'll be good in his last start of the yr. Van Poppel has been exclusively in bullpen duty of late. I would have PIT as a -115 favorite in this game.
I guess they are listed as the slight dog because they have 6 fewer wins than the Reds and the game is at CIN.

Billy Baroo
10-02-2004, 10:42 AM
StL -141 2 units

Might also put down a unit on the Braves if the line improves.

StL -141: This looks to me like another case of the Cardinals not getting enough respect. They are the best team in the league, playing at home against one of the worst teams in the league. Sheets for MIL is a great strikeout pitcher, but the Brewers still play sub .500 baseball when he pitches... and he's not that much better than Marquis.

For Bob's picks:

I almost put money down on the Pirates, but I backed off at the end because I'm just not sure how to read Van Poppel.

To me the line on COL/HOU seemed about right. HOU is a very good team that is playing very well. They are at home against a team that plays poorly on the road. HOU is starting a superior pitcher against a scrub who lets up a ton of long-balls (more away from Coors field than at home). I think the big line is justified.

MicroBob
10-02-2004, 10:55 AM
yeah. i already took ATL +151.

not sure the chicago fans will run up the line now that the cubs have pretty much blown it.

Billy Baroo
10-02-2004, 11:32 AM
ATL +160 1 unit
Bal -120 (Game 1) 3 units
Tor +121 1 unit
LA +134 SF -133 7 units... (didn't have enough $ in account to bet more)

The Atl line moved just enough for me to bet it.

Bal -120 Picked this game just to scalp it. VIP has a stupid line at -120, and about 4 books have Boston at +120. Just a tiny bit of line movement and I'll get my arb.

Tor +121 Same deal as with the Baltimore game. Line is at BOS -121 at Pinnacle and dropping.

SF -133 LA +134 Found a straight-up scalp here. No speculating necessary. Don't want to mention the books for fear of them catching on (but one of them was pinnacle and they've already dropped to +131).

MicroBob
10-02-2004, 11:39 AM
added a little more value with a half-unit on ATL at +159.

nice job on LA-SF.

Billy Baroo
10-02-2004, 11:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
nice job on LA-SF.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks... but the line has just darted the wrong way on Baltimore and I really hate that bet straight-up. Win some, lose some I guess.

MicroBob
10-02-2004, 12:29 PM
COL is up to +282 and ATL is up to +163 now.

Bought a little more on each......could have waited I guess, but I didn't know if I was going to be around to follow-up on these.

MrGo
10-02-2004, 07:52 PM
Crazy to go against Houston right now.