PDA

View Full Version : What the heck was this?

10-15-2001, 09:41 PM
The following hand is one I just observed at Paradise $20-40.

Cutoff just sat down and posted.

Everyone folds to cutoff, he raise. SB and BB calls.

Flop comes K4T, two spades. It's checked.

Turn 9, not a spade. SB bet, BB fold, cutoff raise, SB call.

River 4 of spades.

Board is K4T94, three spades. SB bet, Cutoff call

So far nothing strange, the funny thing was the showdown. SB shows J8o for a bluff on the river, nothing strange there either.

Cutoff shows KK.

If anyone can explain cutoff's play I'll quit poker. Too much left to learn then... /images/wink.gif

10-15-2001, 09:44 PM
The explanation would be regarding his river play, of course.

10-15-2001, 11:24 PM
Well yea, that was another example of good solid poker.. he didn't have the absolute nuts, so why raise?

10-15-2001, 11:47 PM
The only logical answer was that he hit clicked the wrong button.

10-16-2001, 01:14 AM
I'll give it a try.

Pre-flop raise is obviously correct.

He checked the flop because he "can't lose" after flopping top set. He's trying to be tricky. He wants to induce the blinds to bet a weaker hand into him on the turn so he can raise.

The turn raise is obviously correct.

Why didn't he raise on the river? Ummm...give me a second ... ummm ... I'll come up with something ... ummm ... ummm ...ummm ... I know... he's extremely sophisticated and knows that his opponent will only call (actually, reraise) with a better a hand and will fold a worse one. Yeah, that's it!

This guy deserved to have a Q or a 7 come on the river.

Got a similar story to tell. I was the sole caller on the button to a pre-flop raise. I had QdJd.

The flop was Kc,6s,3h

My opponent checked and I checked behind him.

The turn was Kc,6s,3h,Th

My opponent checked again and I thought about betting. As I reached for my chips, I saw my opponent reaching for even more chips. I got suspicious and checked.

The river was a 9 and my opponent bet out. Of course, I raised. He thought about it and just called. I showed my nut straight and he turned over....KK! Of course, he complained that I sucked out on him. I was definitely going to fold to a bet on that flop without any diamonds.

10-16-2001, 02:46 AM
He obviously feared the quads and for good reason.

On Paradise Poker, if there's a pair on the board, you're going to see quads about 25% of the time.

/images/smile.gif

natedogg

10-16-2001, 10:29 AM
Bad beat the other night on Paradise. I have pocket kings in mid-position, I open raise and get called by the BB. Flop comes 10-2-4 (suits dont matter). He check-calls. Turn J, he check-calls. River 4...he check-calls. I turn over kings confidently, he turns over A4o. NO RAISE! It was gut-churning...to see someone play that trash to the end, then when they hit their miracle card they don't even know to raise. I think that bad beat was actually worse than if he had check raised the river so at least I know it's coming. Tilt City...It's Firecash Time again!

Jeff (I really need a new hobby)

10-16-2001, 07:39 PM
I know what you're saying Natedogg, I wouldn't have been surprised if the river was capped and SB would have shown quads, not the least surprised.

As for Sooga's reply, if that was seriously meant, what can I say but - WOW.

Effie, I agree with you a 100%, he MUST have clicked the wrong button there, can't be any other explanation.

Dynasty, I would love to play with such 'sophisticated' players /images/wink.gif

10-17-2001, 09:55 PM
Damn the player with KK played that hand poorly, but I hope you are not routinely cold calling pre-flop raises with QJs. It is a terrible hand to play heads up vs a raiser.

10-18-2001, 08:12 PM
Sooga -

You sound like you are fairly new to poker in general, and Texas Hold'em in particular. See, the nuts are not made every hand (perhaps you are familiar with Omaha, where the nuts occur more frequently??).

Since there is a fairly strong likelihood that quads were not out, a raise is definitely warranted. You will make more money (with the KK) this way. See, Hold'em is a game that rewards aggressiveness. You don't be aggressive by calling, you do be aggressive by raising, so a raise is warranted here. Perhaps you should talk to a friend who knows poker, or read a book (I've heard that "Green Eggs and Ham" is a good one, with lots of pictures).

Worm

10-18-2001, 11:37 PM
My guess is he was worried about spades, saw the

3rd one hit and failed to notice that the board paired.

Cazz