PDA

View Full Version : Fold (not really an option), call or cap the river?

Guido
10-02-2004, 04:29 AM
UTG is one of the worst preflop players I've ever seen but he's been lucky postflop. Hitting 2 and 3 outers and that kind of crap. I've seen him limp with 23o, T8o, J4o, 79o seems like any two will do.

Only remarkable thing I've seen from MP was that he didn't raise TT at the button after the bad preflop player limped. He didn't 3-bet my SB raise either.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed)

Preflop: Guido is SB with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, MP calls, Button calls, Guido completes, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">MP 3-bets</font>, Button folds, Guido calls, <font color="CC3333">BB caps</font>, UTG calls, MP calls, Guido calls.

Flop: (17 SB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Guido checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP calls, <font color="CC3333">Guido 3-bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG caps</font>, MP calls, Guido calls, BB calls.

Turn: (16.50 BB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Guido bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP calls, <font color="CC3333">Guido 3-bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, MP calls.

River: (26.50 BB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Guido bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP 3-bets</font>, Guido calls, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 35.50 BB

So how would you play this hand? Do you fold to a preflop 3-bet? Do you bet the flop or do you check-raise? Anything else?

Thanks,

Guido

Nick B.
10-02-2004, 04:31 AM
I would definitely fold this preflop to the 3bet.

Trix
10-02-2004, 11:33 AM
I fold preflop for sure 2. time.

The action up untill the river is extremely strange..
I´m not sure if call or cap is best though.

tripdad
10-02-2004, 11:52 AM
i fold to 3-bet preflop.

after that, this is a hand where i just sit back and let everyone else do the betting on(though i bet out on the flop, hoping for it to be 3-bet or capped by the time it comes back around to me), keeping in mind that i want as big a pot as possible. so anytime i think they may slow down, i'll begin to throw in a bet or raise...and hope nobody hit their 2-outer.

with 4 players to the turn and 3 to the river, this has to be a long term profitable hand.

cheers!

fyodor
10-02-2004, 12:05 PM
With 3 other players in, this is a situation where I know I will say what the hell and call the preflop 3 bet. So I guess we're the same kind of fish Guido. I'm hoping to flop a flush or trip 2's. This was our lucky day.

After that I play it pretty much exactly as you did. I think a cap on the river is not out of line. MP most likely shows a big pocket pair and saved his action till he saw the flush not come in. Your UTG could have any 7.

The only concerns are MP having pocket 7s or UTG got lucky with 24 or 25. It's only 1 more bet though to win 2.

Guido
10-04-2004, 09:31 AM
When you don't expect a cap from the BB, would you guys still fold to the preflop 3-bet from the MP? If so why?

Thanks,

Guido

chio
10-04-2004, 10:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
When you don't expect a cap from the BB, would you guys still fold to the preflop 3-bet from the MP? If so why?

[/ QUOTE ]

i still fold to the preflop 3 bet:
(1) wrecks your preflop implied odds
(2) increased probability of bigger ace being out there
(3) hand isn't good for much except flush, which you'll pay heavily to draw to given the preflop action