PDA

View Full Version : Boredom.

Pepsquad
10-02-2004, 04:22 AM
I've now logged about 600 hours on PP. Haven't been playing long at all. As my game improves I'm playing less and less hands and I'm finding myself more and more "annoyed". Anybody have suggestions for combating sheer boredom? Early on, I find myself really focused on the play but there's only so many hands I can watch with any sincerity only to see J-4 rake 550 from 9-7 suited yet again. Not to mention the "disconnects" and pointless slowplay because the guy is more focused on his Seinfeld rerun than the task at hand. I'm still very new, very stupid and I'm sure I'm in for harsh criticism with this post but I'd really like to know what others do to fill their time online.

stripsqueez
10-02-2004, 05:04 AM
currently ry cooder - before that the clash, the doors and the soundtrack to reservoir dogs

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

codewarrior
10-02-2004, 07:07 AM
dick dick dick dick dick dick dick...

How many dicks was that?

Alot...

RD's rules, and the sountrack is excellent.

Irieguy
10-02-2004, 12:48 PM
Play mulitple screens. If you 4-screen and read this forum at the same time, you should be plenty entertained.

Irieguy

SmileyEH
10-02-2004, 12:58 PM
more tables /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

nothing beats boredom than playing two bubbles at the same time.

-SmileyEH

eastbay
10-02-2004, 01:05 PM
Long-term winning poker is very boring. There's no thrill in winning nor losing. You basically know your $EV and you can emotionally detach from your immediate results. It's just a menial task like stuffing envelopes. Or more to the point, feeding dollars into a slot machine that pays $1.20. Where's the fun in that? There isn't any.

Listening to music can help.

eastbay

The once and future king
10-02-2004, 01:13 PM
I disagree.

Poker is on the one hand mechanical I agree with this.

However On the other hand if you want to maximize your EV then you have to realize that you are not playing agianst a routine based machine but other human beings.

Not every hand plays the same in every situation. Getting the most from certain scenarios will depend on reads on your opponent/s. Outplaying an opponent is allways satisfying.

The ability to do this increases edge and therfore increases EV.

chill888
10-02-2004, 01:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I disagree.

Poker is on the one hand mechanical I agree with this.

However On the other hand if you want to maximize your EV then you have to realize that you are not playing agianst a routine based machine but other human beings.

Not every hand plays the same in every situation. Getting the most from certain scenarios will depend on reads on your opponent/s. Outplaying an opponent is allways satisfying.

The ability to do this increases edge and therfore increases EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pasty: Exactly good post - and eating cornish pasties help too.

It's amazing how often I'm playing at Stars and people start complaining that a game is boring and lasting to long when we reached something like 90 hands. Instant tell that the guy has no experience and is about to crack.