PDA

View Full Version : What's the best technique for taking notes?

flytrap
10-02-2004, 03:30 AM
One aspect that's really weak about my online play is my notetaking. When I'm playing 3/6 I'm multitabling, so I don't take the time to take notes. When I play 10/20, I watch for about 40 hands and count how many times they call and raise pf. When reading other peoples posts, I'm always impressed by how in-depth people's notes are. I just never seem to have time while playing 3 tables to take notes. What's the secret? What information do you look for and put in people's notes? Any tips, even basic stuff, that can improve my notetaking will be much appreciated. Thanks /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Messy Harry
10-02-2004, 09:38 AM
I know BisonBison and MSSunshine have had some lengthy posts re: content to include in notes.

If those aren't the posts you refer to in your message ("When reading other peoples posts"), click "views" to sort by number of views and you should find them...or you could do a search.

This is the first time I have responded to a post with an answer - I'm still new here /images/graemlins/grin.gif - but I hope it helps.

fsuplayer
10-02-2004, 09:41 AM
Poker Tracker.
if you dont have it, get it now.
you'll wonder how you ever played w/o it

Messy Harry
10-02-2004, 09:49 AM
Sorry to hijack a thread /images/graemlins/crazy.gif, but how do you use/take notes with PT? I just got PT but haven't gotten that far yet? Can I import notes that I have on a site into PT?

fsuplayer
10-02-2004, 10:20 AM
thats okay, this thread was done with my post anyways. trying to hand write nots is inefficient and much less effective.

yes, close all the running applications in PT and click on the notebook icon on the tool bar. go to advanced exports and it walks you through it.

good things to include are pfr%, vp$ip, folds blinds stats, agg. ratings. some people go to even more detail, but thats what i have.

fsuplayer

surfdoc
10-02-2004, 11:20 AM
The PT export notes function is the way to go as FSU has written. Check out the PT website as well for instructions on how to use the auto-rate feature. Very cool.

I also like to add handwritten notes at times that will give info that PT will not. Specific moves that I deem to be very bad. For example cc2 Axo (colcalled 2 bets with Axo) or EP limp J8o. Things like that can be helpful if you have the time.

Another cool trick after you have a decent size database is to search (under the prefs tab) for certain things like VP$IP over 50%. Instant fish list pops up. Good luck.

flytrap
10-02-2004, 01:03 PM
maybe this is a basic question, but what does vp$ip mean? I assume it's low for good players and high for bad players.

mrjim
10-02-2004, 01:29 PM
Voluntary put in pot (or something like that). Bascially measures loosesness by counting all the money a person puts in the pot outside the blinds and posting (voluntarily). Most people say you should try and be between 17 and 22 or so. 50% is extremely high and generally people who play too many hands and call too much.