PDA

View Full Version : calling with a set going for overcalls

Greg J
10-02-2004, 03:19 AM
Playing four tables so no real reads here.

Paradise Poker 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Greg is UTG+1 with 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif. CO posts a blind of $0.25.
UTG calls, Greg calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO (poster) checks, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (7 SB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Paradise, Greg calls, MP1 calls, accordingly, MP3 calls, CO calls, SB folds, BB calls.

I figure having them just cold call 2 instead of 3 bets is best here, keeping more people in the hand.

Turn: (9.50 BB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Greg raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, BB calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Greg caps</font>, MP3 folds, BB folds, UTG calls.

Here is where I come alive.

River: (21.50 BB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Greg raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, Greg calls.

Correct to slow down here?

Final Pot: 27.50 BB

Piiop
10-02-2004, 03:33 AM
Do you really think people who are cold-calling 2 aren't going to cold-call 3? With a bet and a raise in front of you, I don't think you're going to miss out on any action.

I think the river is fine, with a read I might cap, or I might just call the first bet. Hopefully, he has 22, 99, or 78 and not 77 or 88.

Greg J
10-02-2004, 03:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you really think people who are cold-calling 2 aren't going to cold-call 3? With a bet and a raise in front of you, I don't think you're going to miss out on any action.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is an interesting question of psychology. My thinking here was that seeing one player (me) cold call 2 bets make subsequent cold calls more likely. On the other hand, seeing a 3 bet makes folds more likely. Now, if only two people cold call 3 bets instead of 3 cold calling 2, then that is still 6 small bets plus the two that BB would probably call, plus the one that UTG would certainly call, and possibly raise, forcing everyone to call more bets.

That comes to 9 bets versus the 7 I got on that street. So I think you are right.

I realize I tipped my hand as to the results, so oh well: UTG had Q7o. Sweet!

Piiop
10-02-2004, 04:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
UTG had Q7o. Sweet!

[/ QUOTE ]

No, that's super sweet.