PDA

View Full Version : Online PLHE Heads Up Hand

10-15-2001, 08:35 AM
The first hand - so we both have exactly $50. One blind of 50c and I'm on the button.

I've got TT and raise it (I think momentarily about smoothe calling it but figure that I'd take Sklansky's advice on this and raise). I get reraised the pot and smoothe call. A re-re-raise by me would have allowed my opponent to re-re-re-raise and shut me out so I figured I'd call and play for trips on the flop.

Flop 8-6-2 rainbow. My opponent bets the pot ($9). I'm just about to hit the "fold" button when I reflected that my opponent took a long time, and I mean a looooonnnnng time before putting in that pre-flop re-raise. Now surely if he had AA, KK, QQ, or even JJ he wouldn't have had to think. He only has to THINK if he's got a hand he wouldn't have re-raised with in a ring game. AA or KK and the re-raise is practically automatic. QQ or JJ maybe a moments relfection but not the length of time it took him.

I figure I've got the best hand now and want it decided there and then - so I raise get re-rasied and we end up all in.

I win TT aginst 99.

Now my question is:

1. Is this the best play I have ever done and I can feel very pleased with myself (yes there are other far better plays but not ones that I have got anywhere near doing)

2. Is this a stupid play and I just got lucky

3. Bit risky, maybe correct, much-of-a-muchness, welcome to short handed pot limit poker?

Cheers

10-15-2001, 01:57 PM
I think you are undervaluing hands heads up. Surely you would raise a wide variety of hands heads up, and so would your opponent. Thus I think you'll be ahead much more than you'll be behind w/ TT on this flop, with the most likely scenario that your opponent is on 2 over cards.

10-15-2001, 03:53 PM
A long pause doesn't neccessarily mean anything. Be careful about relying on these "PC tells" too much. His connection might have been slow momentarily, he might have been up from his desk for a second- the point is, you never know! AA or KK was not out of the question: A player with one of these hands heads up may hope to trap you, then think better of it and go ahead with a raise. Heads up, many percieved tells online are probably not extremely reliable. That said, I still would have played the hand the way you did- and would have still thought that, as someone said, heads up, my 10-10 is going to be the best hand most of the time in this situation.