PDA

View Full Version : Playing a Draw: PLH

10-12-2001, 04:20 PM
PLH with nickel and dime blinds in a nine handed game. UTG makes

it a quarter and there are three callers. I am on the button with AhQh and I call and the big blind calls.

The flop comes 6h 8s 9h.

UTG bets $75 and there are two callers. I call and the big blind folds. We all have fairly equal stacks of around $1500. Should I have played my hand

more aggressively on the flop? With two other callers I felt

like I was getting a good price on my draw plus I was pretty

confident I was going to complete the action. Also UTG is

a very aggressive player and I was afraid he would make a pot

sized reraise if I did raise and I would likely be headsup

against him without much of an overlay. I probably would have made a pot sized raise on the flop if there was a reasonably good chance that I could take the pot immeadiately. UTG could have a wide

range of hands in this setting. He is the type of player who

is capable of raising UTG with a wide range of hands. Hands

like big pocket pairs, A7s, 78s, medium pocket pairs, and even K7s are all possible. The fact that he bet into four players

with this type of flop suggest to me that he has either a big

overpair, a set, or a pair with straight draw.

The board on the turn is 5c 6h 8s 9h.

UTG bets the pot and everyone folds to me. What is my best

course of action? Results to follow.

Bruce

10-12-2001, 05:10 PM
fold. odds against flush are about 4 to 1 while it pays (POT ODDS) only 2 to 1

10-12-2001, 05:12 PM
this is a very sticky situation, he's representing the straight, and he most likely has it, as most people aren't going to bluff first to actinto 4 people with a 4-straight on the board. this means that you have 6 outs to the nut flush, and 3 out's to the ace-high flush. from my math he bet 440 on the turn making the pot 880, if you're going to call you're only getting 2-1 odds, if you make the flush and he pays you off then you figure to make another 880 on the end with a pot sized bet so that would figure to be 1760-440 (4-1) which is also the odds of you making the ace high flush, if you just call on the turn, and he has half a brain he's going to put you on a flush since since you only called the flop (if you raised he may have put you on a set). so if you do get the flush, do you think your man will pay you off? if you think he does you're getting even money, if he's smarter enough to fold when the flush gets there ur putting up 440 to win the 880 that's there now.

it (like all decisions in this game) comes down to knowing your man, if you're gonna get paid when the flush gets there, then call, if not, fold. with emphasis on fold. save that money for a situation when you have the best of it and break that fool raising utg with 78 /images/wink.gif

10-12-2001, 11:46 PM
FOLD.......

10-13-2001, 10:11 AM
FOLD....you sure don't waste words, Bill. I did not know you even had a computer, thought you just had Pam.....which should be enough. did you win again yesterday?

10-13-2001, 11:57 PM
Hi Jim, Took the weekend off, good to hear from you.

10-15-2001, 05:56 PM
Bill,

I'm glad to see the proof that what Carl said about you at the WSOP is not true. Obviously you actually are literate enough to use a computer. See you around the online cardrooms now.

Jim Rankin

10-18-2001, 08:49 AM
If he is an aggressive player who could be playing an overpair or top pair with a good kicker very strongly at this point, you should have raised him on the flop.

Against one pair, your two overcards with the flush are a very strong hand, they win over 50% of the time. If he has a pair and a straight draw, you are still in good shape.

Also, the raise lets you find out where you are. He would probably not reraise with just a pair. If he repops you, he most likely has a straight or a set. Heads up you would have an easy fold, with more people in the pot you might get odds to call.

Another consideration are your outs. If you think he will fold to a raise when a scarecard rivers, you might have a lot more outs than you think...

Let's say you get reraised on the flop and decide to call. Now you are sure he has the straight. If your flush comes in, you might make some money of him. But what if the board pairs? If you think he will take you for a set on the flop and fold to a river bet or raise, you have 10 more outs to win the pot.

Of course, you have to be very sure he does have a straight and not a set himself...

just my thoughts

Stephan