PDA

View Full Version : 258

Kurn, son of Mogh
10-01-2004, 10:54 PM
Ichiro

The Dude
10-01-2004, 11:10 PM
After getting his 258th hit of the year, he immediately walked over to the first base stands and shook the hand of George Sisler's daughter. Ichiro is not only a first-class player, but he is a first-class person as well.

Congratulations, Ichiro.

nothumb
10-01-2004, 11:28 PM
When I saw this post, I was hoping it was going to be a bowling score, so I could gloat that I beat it just the other night. But it wasn't.

NT

andyfox
10-02-2004, 01:16 AM
Vin Scully, of course, never mentioned it during his broadcast of the Dodger/Giant game. Of course, he also never mentioned that the Giants had a chance to be the wild card team, calling their win a "psychological lift." Nor did he mention that Houston won and Chicago lost, nor did he give the Angels/Oakland score, nor any other major league scores. He did, however, give us the pertinent information that Kurt Roeder hosts the Giants at his home near St. Louis whenever the Giants play there.

The man lives in a cocoon. He should stay there. And give us an announcer that actually cares about baseball in addition to his employer.

The Dude
10-02-2004, 01:19 AM
[sarcasm] Thanks for hijacking this thread, Andy. [sarcasm] Damn yankee.

andyfox
10-02-2004, 01:32 AM
See, I brought it back.

The Dude
10-02-2004, 01:33 AM
I'm ashamed of yesterday's moment of weakness.

Neil Stevens
10-02-2004, 01:51 AM
I'm glad he didn't. He'd just have gone on for another 2 minutes about how Sisler played fewer games than Suzuki did. Never mind that for all the advantage the extra games are supposed to be, the record stood for 70 years.

I can tolerate it, though. He's old. He's been doing this forever. He's entitled to rant once in a while.

nolanfan34
10-02-2004, 02:06 AM
Bastard couldn't wait until Sunday when I'm going to be there?

Great to see, Ichiro is a class act, and with another 8-10 years in MLB, I really think he'll be the first player to garner HOF consideration based on his MLB and Japanese league career. Should be interesting.

Zeno
10-02-2004, 02:17 AM
Yipeee-tie-yea for Ichiro. This also, I think, makes for the must hits in a four year period for any hitter in ML History. [If I am wrong, I know someone will correct me] That is also very impressive.

Congradulations to a first-class Baseball Player.

-Zeno

mikech
10-02-2004, 02:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Bastard couldn't wait until Sunday when I'm going to be there?

Great to see, Ichiro is a class act, and with another 8-10 years in MLB, I really think he'll be the first player to garner HOF consideration based on his MLB and Japanese league career. Should be interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]
It should be very interesting to see how much weight will (or won't) be given to his Japan league stats when it comes time to judge his HOF-worthiness. He totaled almost 1,300 hits (1,278 to be exact) before arriving in the U.S.; if he gets 2,000 hits in the majors, can BBWAA voters possibly deny him entry when he'll have a professional total of well over 3,000 hits? Is Ichiro's situation comparable to some players who spent part of their careers in the Negro Leagues before starring in the majors and went on to be inducted to the Hall with their full resumes given consideration?

Ryner
10-02-2004, 02:43 AM
Time to wear my Ichiro jersey!

ThaSaltCracka
10-02-2004, 06:15 AM
You are right Zeno. and I was at the game tonight, aren't you all jealous?

/images/graemlins/cool.gif /images/graemlins/cool.gif

GuyOnTilt
10-02-2004, 06:15 AM
This also, I think, makes for the must hits in a four year period for any hitter in ML History. [If I am wrong, I know someone will correct me]

You're not wrong. Amazing feat considering he hasn't even played in the Majors for four full seasons yet.

GoT

Kurn, son of Mogh
10-02-2004, 10:51 AM
Yankee fan or not, you'd appreciate Jerry Remy if you lived in NE.

Sponger15SB
10-02-2004, 12:45 PM
I consider myself reasonably versed in sports records, and I never heard of this record until this year, so I'd just like to say:

Big Schmeal.

Ichiro only did it because he had a much much larger number of AB's

The Dude
10-02-2004, 01:23 PM
You're retarded.

GuyOnTilt
10-02-2004, 01:25 PM
I consider myself reasonably versed in sports records, and I never heard of this record until this year, so I'd just like to say:

Big Schmeal.

The single season record for the most hits? Are you joking??? This record is absolutely HUGE. I have no clue how you haven't heard of it if you're a well-versed in baseball, but the fact that you hadn't until a few months ago doesn't mean you shouldn't understand how impressive this record is. I bet you don't know the single season record holders for RBI's, OBP by a right-handed hitter, or hits by a pitcher, but that doesn't mean that a player breaking them is insignificant. Any of those three being broken would be a very major accomplishment, and none of them are nearly as important or significant as total hits in a season.

GoT

The Dude
10-02-2004, 01:26 PM
I think my response was more effecient.

GuyOnTilt
10-02-2004, 01:29 PM
I think my response was more effecient.

But not nearly as PC, thus I direct you here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=667350&page=&view=&sb=5&o =&fpart=all&vc=1).

GoT

sfer
10-02-2004, 03:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, the record was broken because Ichiro got more hits during his ABs. Do you see why?

Sponger15SB
10-02-2004, 06:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, the record was broken because Ichiro got more hits during his ABs. Do you see why?

[/ QUOTE ]

ok ok fine.

However, I still believe this record isn't incredibly impressive considering Ichiro had about 70 more chances to get 258 hits.

ThaSaltCracka
10-02-2004, 07:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ok ok fine.

However, I still believe this record isn't incredibly impressive considering Ichiro had about 70 more chances to get 258 hits.

[/ QUOTE ]
Absurd, see the "*" thread about this. the competition Sisler faced was far easier than the one Ichrio has faced this season.

Schaefer
10-03-2004, 05:12 AM
Mariners lose game #98 but really none of that mattered tonight. Really cool ceremony before the game for Ichiro and another after the game for Mr. Martinez. Bud Selig actually did well. He announced that the DH of the Year award will be forever known as the Edgar Martinez Award. Good stuff. Atlantic Street, the street south of Safeco Field is now Edgar Martinez Drive. These accolades couldn't go to a more deserving person. He's one of the last people I think we'll ever see who stay with one team for their entire 17 year career. Good stuff Edgar. Oh, and Ichiro's the man too.

Schaefer