PDA

View Full Version : No Limit Tourney hand

10-05-2001, 05:31 AM
I was playing in a no limit tournament. I had the chip lead with about $1400 and i was in the same table with 2nd chip leader of about $1300. I am in early position and decide to limp in with A, 9 offsuit. The 2nd chipleader just arrived at our table. I have know idea how he plays. He also limps in mid position, everyone fold to the BB who checks. ANY COMMENTS? ABOUT PREFLOP PLAY

I have had a very tight agressive image, but the new player to out table has no idea about the way i play.

THE FLOP

4D, 5D, 9S

I HAVE A, 9 HEARTS

I LEAD WITH $250 into $170 POT

MIDDLE POSITION PLAYER CALLS

BB FOLD.

TURN IS A 4clubs

For some reason i put him on A flush draw

So i decided to put it all in..

HE QUICKLY calls and turns over a pair of jacks. The river was no help and i was busted.

ANy comments about anything or my play plz dont hesitate to write anything at all. I think his play is a bit weird, limping with jacks knowing that several players are left to act...

Anyway.... Thanks for all advice

10-05-2001, 01:37 PM
I'm definitely no expert, but this is what i think.

His limping with JJ is a good move, as you found out to your cost. If he raises preflop with several players to come and gets reraised big, he probably has to lay down the hand. If overcards come on the flop after he has limped, he has an easy fold. But if none come (or a J comes) - as in your case - he hasn't given away the strength of his hand and has a nice trap going.

Also, is a pair of nines a hand you really want to go all-in on, especially when you're chip leader? You say you think he's on a flush draw - but he could easily have limped with 44, 55 or 99 and have hit trips - you have to think why he's called on the flop (although if I was him i would probably have reraised right there, in case an overcard came on the turn).

Two more thoughts: you say you have no idea how he plays, so why take the risk? And also, preflop I would just dump A9 offsuit - if you hit an ace there's a very good chance you're outkicked, only two pairs is a good flop and you've got as much chance of hitting 2 pair with 23o.

I could be misguided, anyone feels so please tell me!

Better luck next time.

10-06-2001, 12:37 AM
fold or raise to win the antes before the flop. on the flop bet. on the turn check and decide. you had no reason to put him on a flush draw.

10-06-2001, 05:00 PM
This seems right on. The only thing I disagree about is your statement that you are "no expert."