PDA

View Full Version : Crazy game

DarkHorse1978
10-01-2004, 07:24 PM
Does anyone have any advice on how to play in a game full of 'maniacs'?
I've just been playing in a $5/$10 online, and it was almost insane. 10 players, average of 7 seeing every flop. The twist being that it was 3 or 4 BBs to see almost every flop, and I don't remember a single hand in the hour I played having less than 3 players at the showdown.
The general idea (I believe) would be to play tight in a loose game, but that didn't work! Playing tight, to me, means that if it's costing me 4BBs to see the flop, I want premium hole cards, or suited connectors as they play well in a multi-way. Basically, in the $5/$10 game it was costing around $70 to show your cards down, and because of the nature of the game it was the river card that made most winning hands. ie: I play AK, flop a K, river comes 7 and someone who called and raised with K-7 takes down the money.
Mathematically, everyone has the same luck I know - but I wasn't getting the same luck, because I wasn't calling three pre-flop raises cold with K-7o, never mind putting another $35 in the pot to see the miracle river.

Obviously, the whole table was making bad plays, but it was virtually impossible to make money because even AA will lose more often than not against six opponents, when you include the times that you're forced to fold because of a four flush or a four straight on the board.

So - any ideas?

DesertCat
10-01-2004, 08:54 PM
1) Read SSH.

2) Stop complaining about being in a great game. Read SSH to learn how to take advantage of it.

3) Thank your lucky stars about being at a table that makes it easy to cap preflop with AA. Sure you won't win every time, but when you do... oh never mind. Read SSH.

Bigdaddydvo
10-01-2004, 09:02 PM
If you're THAT afraid of this game...here's an unsexy strategy that will make you money...though it's boring and won't help you improve your game much:

Fold everything preflop except AA, KK, QQ, and AKs (JJ and AQs if you're not that tight)

Are these hands few and far between? Yes. Will they lose oftentime when the 7 people see the flop? Sure. But you will have a mathematical edge before EVERY flop w/these hands. That edge will bear itself out over time. So if you can stomach some short-term negative variance...this is the most profitable game there is.

Also SSHE will teach you the way to profitably play in these games while playing more hands (as the previous poster mentioned)