PDA

View Full Version : Books on PL?

10-04-2001, 02:28 PM
I`ve been playing limit poker for a couple of years, but I need some more action and I`m planing to specialize in potlimit.

I was hoping some of you guys could help me pick out some books?

Any suggestions??

10-05-2001, 01:52 AM
Championship No Limit and Pot Limit Hold 'Em by TJ and Tom Mcevoy is certainly worth a look

good luck!

10-05-2001, 03:13 PM
There are three books considered to be the best on big bet poker.

1. T.J. Clouiter's PotLimit/No Limit hold'em book:

The Cloutier book is just plain bad. And he meshes the tourney/live game discussions without ever really being clear about the differences. The differences are HUGE and he hardly even touches on this.

Other than some entertaining stories about road gambling, I can give you pretty much the only valuable part of the book: In pot limit, you have to build a pot. There you go, I just saved you $40.

2. Caffione's PotLimit/No Limit book:

This is the best big bet poker book out there, but it's still not that great. He just doesn't say a whole lot. It's written in a way that makes you feel like you're listening in on a conversation between two experts who understand the game well and they are chatting over coffee. They'll say something profound and then nod to each other without having to explain it in detail. And you're sitting at the next table just dying to butt-in "excuse me sir, can you explain that for fully?"

The book gives lots of hand examples, which are helpful. Unfortunately, there's a lot of discussion of Omaha high, Pot limit stud (a terrible game if there ever was one), and no limit lo-ball. The little discussion there is of hold'em is worth the read, but don't plan on turning into a bad-ass by reading this book. Also, this book suffers somewhat from the tourney/live game meshing as well.

3. Super System: Personally, I would recommend that you do not even read this book. Brunson's advice may have been fine for the games back then, but basically he requires you to play like a maniac with superior reading skills, preferably against idiots. This is not a good winning strategy for most experts, much less a beginner.

The most value you'll get out of Super/System is that it will allow you to spot beginning no limit players who just finished reading Super/System.

If you DO read Super/System, try to remember this: moving all-in on a flush-draw is practically a transparent move and you should only try it against the right players in the right situation.

natedogg

10-05-2001, 07:34 PM
. . how making a move with a flush draw is transparent. in what situation? with what type of player? Seriously, when someone re-raises you with a two flush on board how do you *know* when they are pushing a flush, what are the keys which make it transparent to you?

10-07-2001, 06:48 AM
And dont' forget that the odds tables at the back of the Reuben/Ciaffone are riddled with mistakes too. Makes you wonder how serious these people are when they can't their numbers right.

10-09-2001, 11:26 PM
Personally, I believe that you should stick to the 2-4 limit at the Eagles, however, if you do insist on trying your luck I would recommend the following: Championship No-Limit and Pot-Limit Hold'em by T.J. Cloutier with Tom McEvoy, also Pot-Limit and No-Limit Poker by Stewart Reuben and Bob Ciaffone. Good luck.