PDA

View Full Version : potlimit-omaha high buy-in question(money game)

10-03-2001, 06:46 AM
i,m quite new to pot limit omaha hi and have questions regarding the buy-ins.if i have an unlimited bankroll,am playing tight,coming in only with good starting hands and raising or reraising preflop only with top notch hands,what buy in strategy would you prefer?(buy-in 500 $)i want to know which of the following strategy has the best long term winning expectation.

1.buying in for 500 $ and leaving when this is lost and continuing to play in dependance of how good the game is and how well i feel,if i mange to increase my basic buy-in.

2.rebuy after losing the first buy-in.if yes do i set a limit how often i buy in.lets say for instance the game is great,but i lost already 3 buy-ins would you rebuy further,also if it seems you cant win today.would you set a limit on your rebuys?

3.i make a buy -in which is higher than the basic trying to dominate the table at least cashwise.if yes ,how high would you buy-in and what swings would you tolerate before leaving?

4.any other strategy

remember that i neglect bankroll considerations by asuming an virtually unlimited bankroll but want to know what strategy has the highest longterm expectation!

thx in advance for your answers

richard

10-03-2001, 10:46 AM
new to the game you will probably be playing losing poker for awhile. especially since you are asking questions about how much your buyin may determine whether to quit or not. your ability to win determines that.

if you dont play well, playing tight and raising going in will just insure you may break even against very weak players but good players will make mincemeat of that strategy. you must play well all thru the hand. as the bets go up, later mistakes are far more costly.

your best buyin strategy may be to buyin for as little as possible at all times so your later mistakes may not cost you, as you can be all in early on.

10-03-2001, 11:55 AM
thx for the answer ray

assuming an experienced and good player,what would the answer to my questions be then?do you buy in for the minimum at the start of a game or do you prefer to play with a big stack (full table)from the start.i ask all this because some good players start with the minimum buy-in whereas there are a few strong players who put much bigger stacks on the table.

richard

10-03-2001, 12:24 PM
Richard, I know your question concerns bankroll only, but first I want to make a couple of other points since you are new player. Be sure you know what makes a good starting hand...it's not just aces and faces. Only a small number of flops will fit your hand...thus I am not much of one to raise before the flop. Omaha is a draw out game...you do not want to flop the best hand, you want to flop the best draw; therefore it is possible to play too tight, you must be willing to draw, to gamble when odds are right.

Ray's advise to make only minimum buys looks good to me. Now here are my answers to your numbered questions:

1. one buy not enough

2. I think any P/L player needs to be ready to make multiple buys so long as the game looks good, BUT perhaps a new player need to set a max..unlesds game is very tight you might try 4

3. No, not a good idea

4. after you have more experience, make larger buys to enable win of larger pots whenever you do make good hand

5. when you have even more experience, you will want to have enough chips to discourage other players from drawing.

Omaha is a great game, have fun, and good luck

10-03-2001, 10:45 PM
you buyin for the amount that coordinates with your playing style for that game. if its a game where it pays to get in early buy less. if its a game whre you can get to bet all the way thru and get called from some players when you have a big hand then buy more. in omaha most big pots happen because its built early and two or three hands all have the same equity and must call all bets, so its better to be short stacked in those games.

i just dont think from the questions you are asking that you understand pot limit type of games, so play tight with less money in front of you and quit if you get ahead a lot so as not to put it all at risk.