PDA

View Full Version : PL Omaha High - suckerplay or not??

10-02-2001, 09:06 PM
Played in a wild PL Texas/Omaha-game last week and got into a hand I pondered a lot. I've been playing for 6-7h and we're currently 8-handed. I'm just about even for the night and have a very tight image. The two players to my immediate right frequently straddles and plays about 80-90% of the hands, one of them is tricky and good and the other pretty much sucks but had a lucky evening so far. Three to my right sits a young guy who only been at the table for 30 mins or so, he's overly aggressive but hasn't showed any hands so I don't really have a complete read on him. Anyhow, in this hand the young guy has the 5 big blind (5 5 blinds)with the tricky good player straddling a 10 blind. Before I check my cards the poor player to my right declares he's betting pot in the dark. I peek at my cards and see AhQcJcTc and flatcall, it is folded around to the young guy who also calls, then trickster makes it 30 more to go, also in the dark. Poor player calls and here I pause a little before I decide a raise is the only play and therefor makes it 225 to go. Young guy looks very uncomfortable and after much hesitation he calls. Trickster instantmucks and after some thinking poor player does too. I should also mention stacksizes, I have around 1000 and my opponent 1200-1300. Flop comes AcKdTs and without any pause I check. I'm 90% certain he holds KKxx and 100% sure he doesn't have AA which he without any question woulda bet preflop. He flips 4 100-chips into the pot and I start to think.

If I pop him back with my monster I may lose him and although I

dont usually slowplay in Omaha it seemed alright at the moment.

On the other hand, if my read is wrong and he hold JQxx I miss an awesome freeroll opportunity.

I called.

In disgust I watch the turn come with Th.

I check, he bet 400 again and I muck.

He shows 2 kings and drags a neat pot.

Opinions??

10-03-2001, 02:59 PM
I think you flop a monster only if you have the straight along with top set and/or a nut flush draw, but I don't think your 2-pair is that hot. Against a single player I might have over-bet the pot on the flop, hoping to take it there, but against a weak player who I know will chase with any thing, I might play it as you did, hoping to get all in if a blank hits 4th street.

It's interesting to note that if he has two kings, there is a chance he might also pick up some kind of flush draw on 4th street.

I can't fault the way you played this, especially against an unknown player, but you were trying to milk him, rather than protect your stack. I would have prefered to be the aggressor on the flop, assuming he could put me on a set aces. If he comes over the top, I lose my whole stack.