PDA

View Full Version : Two pot limit hands

10-02-2001, 04:50 PM
The game is 1/2 Hold'em 1/2 Omaha pot limit with blinds of 1,2, and 4. The first raise can be up to 5 times the big blind--$20. The game is seven handed and my bets and raises are getting a lot of respect. I am up about $400 and have only had to show over one hand. I have about $700 in front of me for both of these hands.

1.) Hold'em: I raise to $20 with Ks Js, a tricky, aggressive player who has about $400 in front of him calls in middle position, everyone else folds. There is $47 in the pot and 2 players. The flop comes Kh 6s 4c. I bet $50, my opponent calls the $50 and raises it $100. Should I call? Well, I did, because the guy knew that I was new to pot-limit and that I was playing tight, and he thought that he could play me off of a hand. So I called. The turn was the As, giving me the nut flush draw. Should I check or bet here? I checked. My opponent checked behind me. The river was the 9h. I checked, my opponent showed the 6h 4h for bottom two pair and took the pot.

2.) Omaha: I have J 5 5 3 rainbow and get a free play in the big blind when 4 people call. The flop comes J 5 2. I bet $20 with middle set and get called by an unknown player to my left ($1000 in front of him), the tricky guy from the hand above ($500), and a loose/aggressive guy to his left ($1800). The turn is a King, putting a two flush on board. I check, and to my surprise it gets checked around. The river is a Ten, completing the backdoor flush draw. I check, the guy to my left checks, tricky bets $100, next guy folds, I fold, the guy to my left calls the $100 and raises $300 more. Tricky folds. Guy to my left shows a bluff.

As I stated above, I am new to pot-limit play, and I would appreciate any advice or commentary on these hands.

Mike Watson

10-10-2001, 08:18 PM
I think the KJs goes in the muck on the flop. You are probably out of line when raising with this hand before the flop, unless the game is short-handed and/or you have the deck in your hand (if your opponents are routinely cold-calling a maximum raise with 64s, though, you may be in better shape.) If you put the "tricky" player on a move when he raises you on the flop, I think you have to re-raise. This will put a lot of pressure on him, even if he has the best hand or a good draw. I think he might muck KQ, AK or even 64 in this situation... and, if he has some kind of reasonable draw, I think your re-raise should get him off THAT, too. It is pretty tough for him to call his last $300 with an open-ender -- not only is he not getting odds for the call on the flop, but the raise would put him all-in, eliminating any implied odds that he might be getting.

What did you think he had, when you called his raise? If you think that you have to improve to win, fold! There is no reason to call another $100 trying to spike a jack or pick up a draw. I think you are very lucky that the scare card came; if no ace or king comes and you do not improve, I think he is going to win the pot with a big bet on the turn.

Now, having seen the turn card -- I might choose to bet the pot. That ace of spades is a wonderful card at which to semi-bluff, and it gives you 16 outs against bottom two.

hope and vaseline,

-Erick