PDA

View Full Version : NL Hand (What do I do)

10-02-2001, 11:49 AM
I'm playing heads up NL against a friend who doesn't care about money. I usually pound on him, but he's becoming very aggressive and tough to play. We each have about $120 in front of us. blinds are $2-4. He has been raising preflop every single time for $10. I can't catch any cards and he'll call everything, and his luck as been running very well so far.

I'm on button(BB), he calls the $2 and makes it another $10. I have J10h, so I reraise $10 just trying to play back at him. He calls.

Flop comes 8s 8h 4d

he checks, and I bet $15 trying to buy it. He thinks about it and calls. I don't know what to put him on but I'm guessing a mid pocket pair.

Turn comes Qh which makes me a big draw. Flush draw and gutshot!

There is $78 in the pot and I bet $30 at it, which leaves me with about $55.

He check raises me all in. I know for about 95% sure he has the 8 because this is how he plays. He doesn't put all his money in on a bluff.

I think about it, and I really would like to call with all the money in the pot, but I don't want to draw with a pair on board esp. when I'm that sure he has one.

I fold and he shows J8C, I check the river card and it's the Kh which would of gave me the straight.

comments please.

Sheck

10-02-2001, 02:20 PM
1. If you play heads up you should have the small blind on the button, right.

2. When he calls you on the flop, that's paired, you must know your opponent.... does he have a eight or does he just think your bet means your weak.

3. On the turn you either take a free card (if your afraid he has an eight) or you put yourself all-in (if you think he has a small pair, that he will fold). The small bet cost you the pot right, why pay $30 just to make sure that your beaten?

10-02-2001, 05:44 PM
your question "what to do" seems to come on the end after he re-raised you...when you hated to put in your last 55

so without any comments about prior to that point....after the turn you could win with a flush, or a 9 for a straight . that means the odds against you are about 3 to 1. when he called you 30 and raised your last 55 there would have been 163 in the pot, which makes the pot odds about the same as the drawing out odds...thus you had a legitament call.

some players will call only whenever pot odds are larger than draw out odds, while some will call so long as odds are not unfavorable.

that's a decision only you can make. had I been in your shoes, I probably would have said to myself...here is good chance to break his lucky streak...call.

10-02-2001, 09:48 PM
Thanks for your responses. I know that I should have taken the free card on the turn when he called me on the flop. Had I checked, I would of made the flush and I would have taken down the pot. We play with the Button being the BB, Is that wrong?

Sheck

10-02-2001, 09:53 PM
Yes, normally the SB is button when playing headsup.

10-03-2001, 12:35 AM
First of all, in a heads up game, the button is the SB, the

other player is the big blind.

You missed the flop completely, his call spells trouble.

I would have taken a free card on the turn. If he does have

trip eights, force him to move in front of you.