PDA

View Full Version : Overagressive A9s?

udontknowmickey
10-01-2004, 04:07 PM
Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif. CO posts a blind of $0.75.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO (poster) 3-bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

Raise good bad? No read on table. I was insta raised. call or reraise?

Flop: (14 SB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, Button calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, Button calls, UTG+1 calls.

Do I want to bet out and hope it gets raised or checkraise the field? In retrospect betting out protected my hand better.

Turn: (11 BB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, Button calls, UTG+1 calls.

No reraise on the flop. I continue betting.

River: (15 BB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, Button folds, UTG+1 folds.

Still no resistance. Value bet this one?

Final Pot: 17 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 17 BB, between Hero and CO.</font>

How did I do?

zram21
10-01-2004, 04:58 PM
I think the preflop raise is fine although I would like it better if you were pretty certain the CO and button would fold. After you get 3 bet the call is fine.

I would have just bet out on the flop. It is going to be hard to protect your hand on that board with the pot this big. Really anyone with any piece of the board is getting the proper odds to call and since the likely bettor is directly on your left you won't be able to face anyone with calling two cold on a check raise.

The turn and river look good.

wabe
10-01-2004, 05:28 PM
So, you aren't betting here to determine if a) someone has a better hand and b) to push out Kx and Qx hands?

When is a "raise for information" play supposed to be used, then?

zram21
10-02-2004, 02:20 AM
You don't need to push out Kx and Qx hands. They are not a danger to you on this board. If the x has paired the board they are getting the odds to call their 5 outs anyway.

You want to bet here because there is a good chance your hand is the best hand and if you check the bet is very likely to come from your immediate left. You will not be able to force anyone to call two cold with a check raise in that situation. Since a check raise is not likely to increase your chances of winning the pot and will not help protect your hand it is best to just bet out on this flop.

Piiop
10-02-2004, 02:58 AM
What hands are you trying to protect yourself against here?Any pairs are drawing to 2 outs and you're behind to any preflop 3-betting Ace hand.

Shalara
10-02-2004, 03:55 AM
I like the raise preflop. I'd just call the re-raise, like you did. It's a good hand, but I can't bring myself to cap here. I think about domination, as a 9 isn't a very good kicker, and it looks like I'm already paying premium for my flush draw.

I would check-call this the whole way through though. Any ace that might have raised Iikely has me beat, so I don't want to raise it. Likewise, if the raiser doesn't have an ace, just calling means he'll keep betting.

DeathDonkey
10-02-2004, 03:57 AM
This would be nice if you were heads up, but in a multiway pot you can't simply check and call and let others catch up. For this reason you must lead into the PFR on the flop and hope he raises. What you do after that is less clear, but the C/R here is bad.

-DeathDonkey