PDA

View Full Version : Playing against a maniac

KenProspero
10-01-2004, 03:15 PM
How do you play in a one play tournament against a maniac.

1 table, small stakes, Bugsy's.

1500T chips to start. I'm down to about 800 chips, 5 players remaining. Dealt QTo (big blind)

All fold except for the chip leader (small blind), who calls.

Flop comes down T /images/graemlins/club.gifJ /images/graemlins/diamond.gifQ /images/graemlins/club.gif

Chip leader (about 8500T) goes all-in.

Throughout the tournament, this guy's been a maniac on a roll. Has probably been all-in 7 or 8 times (mostly to drive out other players because of the size of his stack). Hands have ranged from 9-6o to KK (most with cards that I'd have folded.

I have two pair, but there's a possibllity for a straight (or straight draw) or a flush draw. Given that sb has gone all-in on anything, I have no read.

I ended up calling -- basically, with my chip position, I HAD to double up or I'd be gone, but wasn't sure what to do.

Any comments?

hurlyburly
10-01-2004, 03:37 PM
Given your stack that had to be the best situation you were gonna see, so calling here is a good play. As aggressive as he sounds (and with that huge stack), he could be pushing on a draw with a pair, so it's likely that you're way ahead. If you double up here, it could have the advantage of slowing him down somewhat, or going after you again when you have the better of him. Calling here is a good play.