PDA

View Full Version : 30 DAY SMALL STAKES CHALLENGE- STAGE 5

snowbank
10-01-2004, 01:13 PM
Day 13-

Started off by finding the biggest fish ever. I was first on the waiting list. He had about $250 in chips and had been rivering people. Everyone at the table was complaining. I couldn't wait to sit down. Finally a seat came open. With all the overlapping tables I accidently closed the table. When I opened it back up and tried to sit down someone was just sitting down. I had to join the waiting list again. When I finally got to this table, the fish had already lost about $100 and was down to $150. By the time the blinds came around to me he was down to $100. When I finally got in a hand he was not in it, and his stack was like $75. I never got in a hand with him, and he left with most of the $250 gone. O well. I can't wait until I set up 2 monitors.

Day started out pretty well. Not too many great hands but I was taking down a lot of pots bullying. Finally I got a hand I didn't have to bully with. I had AA, and raised pre-flop. Got called by a few people. Someone bet like $5 on the rag flop, I raised to $11, crazy guy calls and the first guy folded. Turn is a 9. Guy calls my large bet. We are all-in on the river. I lose to 6-9, two pair. He had called $11, 22 times the BB with 3rd pair on the flop. WOW! I'm out after that one. Tired of tilting after stuff like that.

Day 13 stats-

+$36.30
490 hands
2 hours 10 minutes

Day 14-

I'm an idiot! I don't know why for the last 4 or 5 days I have been making bluff after bluff on unbluffable people. Maybe I was thinking about Doyle's style or something, but I have just been playing stupid. Today I tried re-raising hands I knew were made just to see if I could bluff them out of huge pots. I was semi-bluffing all-in, and many other extremely stupid plays. The thing is, the bullying was working until the bonus period it seems, and the games are a bit different right now, and bluffing is a waste of time. Everyone calls! I have not been playing seriously, more concerned with showing my bluffs after I rake in a huge pot off someone just to put them on tilt. By far the worst day of the challenge. I need to play serious.

Day 14 stats-

(-$88.60)
1 1/2 hours
403 hands

Day 15-

My friend who I have been helping learn poker drags me to the library and convinces me to play serious. Thank you Mike! This is probably the first truly serious day I have played for almost a week. The other days I was not playing good poker. If anyone just saw me at a table playing the way I was, they would think I was a fish. I thought it was good for my table image, and it was. It was great! But I got carried away, so I went back to basics today. One place I think I have been making mistakes is putting smaller stacks all-in pre-flop with hands that I wouldn't make such a raise with against a big stack. Example: I have JJ, guy with like $13 left raises to $2 pre-flop. I raise him up to $4. He raises me to like $7. I put him all-in. I would never play this way against a bigger stack. Am I making crappy plays against small stacks?

Day 15 stats-

+$182.60
857 hands
3 hours 15 minutes

I am halfway thru the challenge, and no where close to the goal. Mainly because of my multiple days off, and my stupid play for almost a week due to the lack of competition and the need to keep myself entertained by trying to bluff everyone no matter what. Day 14 I think I saw like 32% of the flops. That's WAY too many. That made me realize just how crazy I was playing.

Here are my stats thru 5 stages:

+$824.80
9,674 hands
35 1/2 hours
17.05 BB/ 100 hands
$23.23/ hour

I did not include the Stars $120 bonus. To meet my goal of $3,000 I would have to play almost 100 hours if I won at a similar rate. That would be over 6 hours a day, which is near impossible for me to do. I am debating whether or not to move up to .50/1 for the rest of the challenge. I think it might keep me from having to entertain myself with bluffs because it would probably be a bit more competitive. What does everyone think? Move up, or stay where I am at .25/.50. I think if I played totally serious for the 2nd half of the challenge, I could make over 20 BB/100 hands, but I don't think I could meet the goal at .25/.50. Maybe I'd have a chance at .50/1. Let me know what you think about moving up or staying put. Thanks.

vetman81
10-01-2004, 02:27 PM
Snowbank,

FWIW I do the same thing sometimes. I forget these people will not fold and try to bluff them anyway. I just have to stop playing and get my head back in the right frame of mind to play. I sometimes do this live as well as online. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Also, I think you should stick to this limit. The goal at the start of the challenge was to show you can make money at this limit, not just to make $3K in 30 days. If that was the goal, why not play much higher stakes and make that in a few days? Of course, I was just tagging along with your challenge, so who am I to say. Just my opinion. Hope the second half goes better for you. Good luck.

Matt

ddss6_99
10-01-2004, 03:41 PM
Just a quick question about the challenge, What was your starting bankroll?