PDA

View Full Version : TT against a fish

CheckFold
10-01-2004, 12:58 PM
This is a party 100 NL (6 max, $2BB) 6 handed game. Villain is in the BB. He is a massive fish whose play is pretty much all over the place. Hero is on the button with $80. Villain has ~$275.

One limper to Hero on button with T /images/graemlins/spade.gifT /images/graemlins/heart.gif.

Hero raises to $8, SB folds, BB calls, limper folds.

Flop is K /images/graemlins/club.gif 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Villain leads for $30.

Hero?

amoeba
10-01-2004, 01:06 PM
fold

you should fold in this situation more often when opponent is a fish as a fish is more likely to call your preflop bet with KQ, KJ as opposed to a tighter player who would pretty much only call your preflop bet with AK, KK,AQ, JJ, QQ, mid PP. you wouldn't expect a preflop no reraise with AK, KK, JJ, QQ so you can more accurately put a tighter opponent villain on bluffing with AQ or 99, 88 if this same situation arose.

This in addition to a lot of Fish's propensity to limp with AA, KK makes this fold even easier for me.

bingledork
10-01-2004, 01:37 PM
Fold.

If this guy is really bad, you can wait for a better opportunity.

Tilt
10-01-2004, 01:41 PM
You seem to know this player - so tell us - does he fire at the flop alot? Would he fire at a flush draw with AJc or QJc? Does he lead out with a 2nd pair for this much? How often have you seen a cold bluff?

By my definition of a fish - meaning a loose and passive player who rarely challenges you to fold - this is a definite fold. A real fish will only bet out like that with a strong hand. That what makes them so profitable...its easy to sniff out their strongest hands.

If on the other hand he is loose and sometimes aggressive but without any real good sense of when to be aggressive, calling is an option. But is not an option I would be inclined to take. Not only may you be behind but you are drawing on just 4-6 outs to improve (depending on if he has the flush draw).

Dominic
10-01-2004, 01:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Fold.

If this guy is really bad, you can wait for a better opportunity.

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto

CheckFold
10-01-2004, 02:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If on the other hand he is loose and sometimes aggressive but without any real good sense of when to be aggressive, calling is an option.

[/ QUOTE ]

This describes him perfectly. What do you call such a player? He had in fact led out pretty strong on a few rags flops after I had raised in late position with AK to AJ type hands and I had folded. In a few other cases he had inexplicably let me off the hook when his awful cards had made big hands against my top pair.

CheckFold
10-01-2004, 04:22 PM
anyway, to me betting $30 into a $21 pot screamed bluff. If he likes his hand so much why not checkraise? Even if he's terrible, he has to know that a preflop raiser will almost never check behind on this board in a heads up situation. I pushed in. He thought about it until there were 2 seconds left on the clock, then he called with 77. My hand held up.

Is this wreckless?

Tilt
10-01-2004, 04:42 PM
Yes, I think that play is pretty wreckless. Its really wreckless on his part. What could he be thinking calling with 77???? Wow.

Per other posts, if hes that bad you should wait for a better opportunity.