PDA

View Full Version : New to full ring; a few hands

edge
10-01-2004, 12:38 PM
I'm a 1/2 6-max player, but since Party doesn't spread 2/4 shorthanded, I moved to the full ring game. I managed to drop $125 in less than 100 hands, possibly from being too aggressive postflop? These are some hands I'm not too sure about:

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 folds, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, BB calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (8.50 BB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

River: (11.50 BB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Final Pot: 14.50 BB

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, Hero calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (6 BB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8 BB) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10 BB

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button calls, Hero completes, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, CO calls, Button calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (8 SB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, CO folds, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (6 BB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

River: (8 BB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Final Pot: 10 BB

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif. MP2 posts a blind of $2.
Hero calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 (poster) checks, CO folds, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

River: (5.50 BB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 7.50 BB

BaronVonCP
10-01-2004, 12:50 PM
I think overall, these hands are fine. Some of the river value bets are thin, but need to be made against the really loose players.

The last hand is sorta questionable. You need to be fairly sure he has a flush draw and will bet it, to make the check call play better than the other options.

dfscott
10-01-2004, 12:50 PM
Hand 1 looks routine. I might consider checking behind on the river, but I think I'd just shut my eyes and bet and be ready to call a single raise.

Hand 2, I would probably cap the flop, but in any case, once you're bet into on the turn, I think I'm just calling down.

Hand 3, I'm dropping on the flop. There's only 4-1/2 BB in the pot, and just about any cards that come on the turn or river are likely to counterfeit your pair.

Hand 4 is another hand similar to Hand 3, although your pair is much stronger, of course. I used to play my mid pocket pairs this way, and it's cost me a lot. I think the flop bet is ok, but when you get a caller, I'm not interested in putting any more money into this tiny pot. This looks like a case of trying to win hands instead of money, something that I'm often guilty of.

flytrap
10-01-2004, 12:54 PM
It would appear you are playing a bit too aggressive. Here's my take on the hands:

Hand 1-You did fine up until the river, but so many 2/4 players are so passive that they'll just call with an A. Since you have position on the river, just check behind.

hand 2-I like raising TT, but calling is fine. When the sb three bet the field, there's a chance you're behind. When the top card on board pairs, the only thing you can now beat is 45. I'm folding this.

hand 3-I don't like checkraising with such a small pair. Even heads up, at best you're a small favorite against over cards, or he could have something like 88 or 99 since he raised pf. I'm just folding and hoping I flop a set next time.

hand 4-I'm check/folding here. If the flop were jj6, I might bet because a 6 might call. But with the J66 flop, you really won't know where you are because someone could slowplay a 6. There are just too many people in the hand that could have you beat.

dfscott
10-01-2004, 01:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
hand 2-I like raising TT, but calling is fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I missed this the first time. I think you have to raise here for value and to pressure the blinds.

BaronVonCP
10-01-2004, 01:06 PM
I didn't pay attention to the PF either.

I don't think calling is acceptable.

edge
10-01-2004, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the responses.

I'm trying to tone down on preflop aggression (if I used the same raising standards in full ring, I'd be run over). Is TT a standard raise UTG+1 after a limper?

poolshark
10-01-2004, 02:36 PM
definitely stick to short handed

edge
10-01-2004, 03:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
definitely stick to short handed

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd prefer that, but the next level of 6-max that Party offers is 5/10, and I don't have the bankroll for it.

dfscott
10-01-2004, 03:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the responses.

I'm trying to tone down on preflop aggression (if I used the same raising standards in full ring, I'd be run over). Is TT a standard raise UTG+1 after a limper?

[/ QUOTE ]

TT is my favorite hand -- it's an auto-raise for me in any position. I'll nearly always 3-bet it unless I have a reason to think the raiser won't raise with anything other than monsters.

BaronVonCP
10-01-2004, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is TT a standard raise UTG+1 after a limper?

[/ QUOTE ]

Raise TT in any unraised pot. If you are looking for places to tone down the preflop aggression, look to your offsuit Broadways and whatnot. TT is premium!