PDA

View Full Version : folding JJ heads up pre-flop??

09-27-2001, 09:39 PM
.50 pot limit hold em. 3 players.

I'm dealt JJ in the big blind.

I've got about $55 button has over $100.

I just sat down so I don't know the player's style.

Mid player folds button raises to $1.50.

I pop back for $4. Button re-pops $12.

Here is where I may have gone wrong. Should I fold JJ heads up at this point to a possible button steal? The re-pop should make me re-think the steal theory. I figure JJ is still pretty good heads up against a button pre-flop raiser and re-pop for $20. Button comes back over the top and I am pretty sure I'm dead but at this point I've got more than half my stack in there. I call, nothing higher than a J comes so I'm hopeful. Button shows AA.

Would it have been better to just call the last raise? I still would have likely lost my stack on the flop, no straight or flush possibility all lower than J.

Next time I may think more about calling a big re-raise out of position with JJ.

I this bad play by me or just one of those hands?

Thanks.

09-28-2001, 12:18 PM
Ask yourself if your were in the button shoes, would I put in the third raise with anything less than AK? If its not AK, its not a small pair that means your toast to QQ, KK, AA.

Making the second raise was a fine play on your part. This lets you know where you are at. The button told you but you did not listen.

Next Hand.

Joel

09-28-2001, 01:41 PM
First of all, you're going to be out of poition for the rest of the hand.

The button 4 bets the full amount. What hand did you think you could beat? If you're getting 110 times the blind in before the flop in PL, I can guarantee you JJ is not the winning hand.

09-28-2001, 02:16 PM
How about if you have QQ? Still fold? KK? With no knowledge of a player what do you do?

-SF

09-28-2001, 04:21 PM
Unless you are a world class expert or your opponents are very very weak, with JJ in early position you should see a flop cheap and then get out if you don't flop a set. Playing JJ aggressively from early position is a LIMIT hold'em tactic. Even then you only do it if you can get the pot shorthanded. It's just too dangerous in NL or PL for those of us who are not world class experts.

What happens if you put in half your stack and the flop comes AT9 or 789 or even QJT mono-tone? You just don't want to commit a lot of chips with a hand that you have to check-fold when you miss the flop.

Now, from late position, that's a different story. The position is so important that I would guess JJ on the button is more profitable than QQ in the blinds, even counting those times when JJ is facing QQ.

natedogg

09-28-2001, 04:59 PM
I think Queens is still a fold, the only hands he now dominates are JJ and AQ, and even these are unlikely (hugely unlikely in the case of AQ).

I suppose when you sit in a game with only three players, you have to go all the way with kings unless you have insane stacks compared to the blinds. I have really never understood how people can risk insane money in PL and NL in a game where the compitetion starts with a fight for micro blinds. Even as a winning player, experiecing huge swings like when a flush draw hits against you on the river, losing perhaps 150 x the blinds can't be very pleasing.

lars

09-28-2001, 05:57 PM
if your playing 3 handed pot limit. when hte guy re-pops you its all about people. There are many i know who would never re-pop w/ aa or kk heads up (they think they're tricky) but will with any ace or small pair. i put them all in. others im sure have me as a small fav or huge dog. i get away quick. if you dont know the dude at all fold.

10-01-2001, 12:05 PM
first when you dont know the players dont go and start putting yourself into tough decisions. you should have just called the 1.50 or folded for the 12. the time to push hands and force the action is when you know something about the players and can control what goes on. until then play carefuly out of position.

remember this,in pot limit games only fools and good players tend to commit all their chips without good hands.