PDA

View Full Version : Need some quick advice on playing in BAD SnGs

gregdillon
10-01-2004, 11:55 AM
First off, forgive me cause I'm sure similar questions have been asked on this forum. I've been playing limit hold'em for about a year now. It's only been the past two months that I have begun to play in some no-limit tournaments (they have been springing up all over town). This weekend there is a four day festive and hold'em SnG's are going to be going on non-stop. Last night I played in one and just couldn't get it going. From what I saw last night these games are BAD. Out of the 11 at the table I would say 3 knew what the heck they were doing (one guy went all-in on the first hand with his pocket 5's when the board was K-J-8). The thing is those three were just being butchered by the other 8 horrible players. Not because of bad play it just seemed like we were out numberd by fish (Does that even make sense?) I finished 6th and in my whole time sitting there I NEVER saw a pre-flop raise, but almost everyone saw the flop. Ok, you all now the type of games I'm talking about so on to my question. I have a feeling most of the games this weekend are going to be this way, how should I approach this. I play REALLY tight, do I need to loosen up (Last night I didn't really loose any hands, I just got blinded out and then couldn't really get forceful when I had a hand because I didn't have any cash)? Should I get ultra aggressive, seeing that the games play like limit? I thought about that, but I really don't think anyone would ever fold (this is a festival and people are there to gamble) OK, enough rambling, any tips for a limit ring-game player trying to figure out no-limit tourney's would be appreciated!

Thanks

Klak
10-01-2004, 12:58 PM
the game you are descibing is loose and passive. you need to play tight and aggressive to do well in these games.

DONTUSETHIS
10-01-2004, 02:50 PM
I live in a college town so I see a lot of play like this around here. I think the best way deal with these players is to play more hands that can make the nuts, since you can get in for one bet and these people will pay you off if they catch any piece of the flop. All pairs are great and and big suited cards expecially suited aces. ALl hands that have huge implied odds play well. I really tighten up my raising standrards becuase of the fact that you are so likely to get many callers. If you have a huge hand like aces or kings make a huge raise. For example I play in a no limit game with one blind of $1. It is a weak game. I held pocket kings and made a preflop raise of $25. After to super weak players with a lot of money limped in in front of me. they both called and i went on to triple my stack. In my game people have so little respect for raises and position, this has been the best way for sucess for me. I know that you know a lot of this and i am not trying to talk down to you, but I hope this helps. Good luck and let us know how you do.

gregdillon
10-01-2004, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the tips. I guess I'm just so used to limit ring games that no-limit tournaments, with the increasing blinds and such, are a big change and I wanted to make sure I'm approaching it right. Practice makes perfect I guess. There will be ALOT of poker going on this weekend so I should get plenty.

Thanks

Pepsquad
10-02-2004, 05:24 AM
There is one major change I make in my play when I find myself in these loose-passive games. I limp with all of my suited "big/small" hands (eg-A6s, K2, etc.) They won't make you pay for limping with this crap, but the 2-3 times a night you flush you can usually check/call for a healthy amount of $. Bit of advice to rmember though if you add this to your game, when you flop top pair and face aggression, RUN...don't walk away from the hand.

Zinzan
10-02-2004, 01:46 PM
From Sklansky's TOP - "Scrap the general notion that you play tight in a loose game... In a loose game you must tighten up on your bluffs and semi-bluffs, but loosen up on your legitimate hands. You bluff less, but you bet for value more. You also call with more hands and play more drawing hands (esp. true with your table's passive nature)."

-Z