PDA

View Full Version : AA play that felt strange

DeathDonkey
10-01-2004, 11:47 AM
This is right, right?

Thanks in advance,
DeathDonkey

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls.

Flop: (5.50 SB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.75 BB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (5.75 BB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 7.75 BB

ClonexxSA
10-01-2004, 11:52 AM
I would have raised the flop and turn, see what kind of strength he shows. If he just calls the flop raise then raise the turn, if he just calls there, bet the river if checked to you (like you did).

It seems like you should have the best hand here based on his betting, if you dont then he played the hand horribly.

Nick Royale
10-01-2004, 11:56 AM
At the flop I would have raised him, and if reraised been prepered to call him down all the way. There are just to many hands he would bet in this situation, while a jack or pocket sixes is the only hands that got you beat.

cold_cash
10-01-2004, 11:57 AM
Looks good.

Entity
10-01-2004, 11:59 AM
I like it.

You get the most out of a hand like K6 or KQ (or AK) here and lose the least to a Jack.

Nice hand.

Rob

detruncate
10-01-2004, 04:00 PM
This is dandy.

GrunchCan
10-01-2004, 04:08 PM
I rasie the flop. It is worth 1 SB to get the information from your opponent and see if he really has the set. If he says, "Yup, I got the set" (by re-raising you back) then I check-call all the way down. Without raising, he could have Jx, A6, AK, KQ or 72. You have no idea. You need to find out.

cold_cash
10-01-2004, 04:41 PM
Why raise if you're going to call down when he raises back?

That's basically saying, "Okay, I 'raised for information' and now I 'know where I'm at', but I'm paying off anyway."

Hero played this one perfectly. If he raises and he's behind, he gets 3-bet. If he raises and he's ahead, his opponent will likely fold. If he just calls his opponent might continue to bluff. When he gives up on this bluff, (on the river), our hero bets. Peachy.

davelin
10-01-2004, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I rasie the flop. It is worth 1 SB to get the information from your opponent and see if he really has the set. If he says, "Yup, I got the set" (by re-raising you back) then I check-call all the way down. Without raising, he could have Jx, A6, AK, KQ or 72. You have no idea. You need to find out.

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems to be a subject that comes up all the time on this board, what to do in one of these way-ahead or way-behind kind of situations where the best play is to do what Hero did here. To do what you recommend may not be best. If you raise the flop and he re-raises you back, you say to check-call all the way down which loses more. If you re-raises and he decides he doesn't like his hand, you win less than what you would have here.