PDA

View Full Version : Please allow me to introduce myself...

I Play 2 Ski
10-01-2004, 10:08 AM
Ok so I have been lurking for a few weeks, now I am going to take the plunge. Anyway I have been playing fopr about 14 months and have moved up from .50/1 to 2/4 & 3/6. I think my game is OK, I use Poker Traker and using bisonbisons autorate rules I rate a TA-N after 40K hands. I just received my copy of Small Stakes Hold'em in the mail yesterday and I read most if it last night for the first time. I imagine I will be reading this many many times. Anyway on first review I now feel I play a bit on the weak tight side. So now I have challenged my self and the beginneing of the month is a great time to start a challenge.

So here is what I want to do. My bankroll easily supports me playing 3-4 3/6 games at a time. I am going skiing in December and would like to add 2 days of Heli-Skiing with my poker winnings, so the goal is to make 6K over the couse of the next 60 days to fullfill that dream.

of course I am goping to post some hands and hope to get some feedback that will improve may game. I only have played a few hands so far this month and this one below is the only one I played that made me think if I made the correct decision.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls.

River: (8.75 BB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Final Pot: 10.75 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero has Qh Ac (one pair, queens).
UTG+1 has As 9s (high card, ace).
Outcome: Hero wins 10.75 BB. </font>

Normally I would check raise the flop, but this time I decided to bet the flop to see where I was at on this. I was pretty sure I had the best hand and was probably up against a draw or a weak Ace.

I decided if the turn was a rag I'd check raise. The turn was a rag, I wasn't concerned all that much about the flush draw.

The river play I felt was simple bet, becasue I doubt the diamond helped him.

So The checkraise earned me 1BB more than if I checkraised the flop.

I also have another question, say there was 6 people that saw the turn, is the check raise still a profitable play?

Thanks

47outs
10-01-2004, 10:13 AM
Welcome.

I like your check raise on the turn. It's not something that I do often but it was pefectly executed here. Its usually crash and bang for me... bet bet bet until I reach resistance.

Nice hand.

outs

emil3000
10-01-2004, 10:26 AM
Checkraising really worked here. I usually don't do it. I feel it's to much of a powerplay. It folds out those weak kicker hands that you like calling. Of course, he had nothing and called anyway, so against him it was real nice.

IndieMatty
10-01-2004, 10:29 AM
I don't think most party players know what a kicker is. If you are ever worried about someone folding top pair weak kicker; you need to find another table.

prayformojo
10-01-2004, 12:05 PM
Why would you check/raise the flop? More importantly, how would you check/raise the flop? You have only two opponents acting after you and you were the pre-flop raiser. Unless you have a strong read that your opponents are aggressive in the face of weakness, you are going to give a free card more often than pump the pot.

junkmail3
10-01-2004, 12:16 PM
I think the check raise a little risky. With only two players who haven't shown any aggression, they very well may check through. Thus you give a free card, lose a BB, and give away a very dangerous card (not really, but pretty much the worst one out there, other than a K).

T8d could have called the flop, got a nice draw on the turn, and might have checked the turn for the free card.

So, I say
Flop: bet
Turn: bet
River: bet.

J.R.
10-01-2004, 02:01 PM
I am going skiing in December and would like to add 2 days of Heli-Skiing with my poker winnings

Where? Heliskiing is awesome, so is cat skiing, but my favorite is earning your turns but putting one foot in front of the other. I really learned to ride hiking it in Jackson, WY, and there is no better way to do it, IMO.

I decided if the turn was a rag I'd check raise. The turn was a rag, I wasn't concerned all that much about the flush draw.

But where you concerned that someone might not bet (you only have two opponents), as it is 2-4 so many hopeless hands will call a turn bet but even decent hands may be checking here. Do you think somebody has a Q they didn't raise on the flop? I love the bet the flop, check-raise the turn play, but I usually try to have a target or two that rate to be pretty likely to bet if I check.

I also have another question, say there was 6 people that saw the turn, is the check raise still a profitable play?

Yes, as its more likely soemone will bet, although you will be drawn out on more frequently.

bicyclekick
10-01-2004, 02:53 PM
Welcome.

I c/r the turn probably half the time nad bet out the other half.

I like it either way. I don't check raise flops like that, though, like ever.

A 2+2 skier gathering...lol

I Play 2 Ski
10-01-2004, 03:19 PM
I BK, i responded to your post on Epic. Move to ski country man

I Play 2 Ski
10-01-2004, 03:26 PM
I was fairly sure he had a weak Q. I figured that he would think I was firing a bet on the flop to see what would happen on the turn. I was 80% sure he would bet his weak Q. At least that was my logic. Most of the time though I would just bet the turn.

J.R.
10-01-2004, 03:29 PM
Where are you going heliskiing, in BC?

GrunchCan
10-01-2004, 03:31 PM
A 2+2 skier gathering...

I'm in.

I Play 2 Ski
10-01-2004, 03:37 PM
Hopefully I will 2 a day here

http://www.pccats.com/new/heleskiTrips.html

And here

www.powderbirds.com (http://www.powderbirds.com)

When I am at Solitude in December

I Play 2 Ski
10-01-2004, 03:37 PM
me too