PDA

View Full Version : Party's new speed tournaments

Arsene Lupin III
10-01-2004, 05:41 AM
Anyone played these yet? Blinds increase every 3 minutes... do they go by the standard blind structure?

citanul
10-01-2004, 10:27 AM
They do.
They are pretty insane.
The time to act is not decreased, just the time per level.
As a diversion, they are pretty fun.

betgo
10-01-2004, 11:35 AM
They are fun to watch. Currently one is on first break. 15 of 340 players remaining. The blinds are 10K/20K. The largest stack has 55K, just enough for a decent raise.

looseasagoose
10-01-2004, 11:56 AM
now that is pretty intense. I was at the world speed poker championships in Estonia last week. Now that was a lot of fun! http://www.worldspeedpoker.com Different kind of speed poker in that the blinds weren't so aggressive but you only had 15 seconds to declare your move or your hand was folded.

Tom Bayes
10-01-2004, 11:57 AM
Wow, this sounds like the worst tourney structure ever. I'll pass. If I just want to gamble mindlessly, I'll drive an hour to the riverboat and play some slots or craps (I suppose you can play these games online as well).

Vince Lepore
10-01-2004, 03:58 PM
I played in one the other night. Crap shoot, Crap shoot, crap shoot! Of course i did make the money. If you want to gamble why not gamble on something you know a little about. It as fun but frustrating. Stalling and calling become very important.

Vnce

jwvdcw
10-01-2004, 10:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They are fun to watch. Currently one is on first break. 15 of 340 players remaining. The blinds are 10K/20K. The largest stack has 55K, just enough for a decent raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Thats completely insane imo.

eastbay
10-02-2004, 01:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone played these yet? Blinds increase every 3 minutes... do they go by the standard blind structure?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in one right now and it seems no different than normal to me. Blinds going up every 15 min.

eastbay

betgo
10-02-2004, 11:08 AM
I tried one. With the blinds 25/50, UTG raises to 300 with AcTc. I push with with KdKc. Four clubs fall, and I lose with second highest flush. My tournament was over in 10 minutes.

I have been fairly succesful in less extreme turbo events on Paradise and Stars. There are a lot of bad players who treat it like a lottery, so you can get an edge.

woodguy
10-02-2004, 02:10 PM
You must have entered a regular tourney.
I've just played one, and the blinds were up to 75-150 in 20 min.
Very lottery like (turn $30 into $3000 in 1 1 /2hrs!), but I always believe a good player can have an edge no matter the structure.

Regards,
Woodguy

ilya
10-02-2004, 06:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
now that is pretty intense. I was at the world speed poker championships in Estonia last week. Now that was a lot of fun! http://www.worldspeedpoker.com Different kind of speed poker in that the blinds weren't so aggressive but you only had 15 seconds to declare your move or your hand was folded.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's kind of droll that they called this a "speed" tournament. B&M slowpokes...

betgo
10-02-2004, 11:37 PM
I was wtching the later part of the 8PM one. Even though it was hand for hand, some of the short stacks were stalling to make the blinds go up. They figured that way a lot of big stacks would bust put before they did. With 30 players left, the blinds hit the maximum of 100K BB. Only 3 stacks were bigger than that.

Also, a lot of players seem to be playing too tight for the blind structure later on, trying to hang on and move up a few places. This is another reason the stacks were so small compared to the blinds.

It was pretty wild. Obviously, after a certain point, there are no flops played, so it is only a matter of deciding when to go allin.