PDA

View Full Version : Folding aces

08-31-2002, 11:35 PM
In the same loose passive game, first in a very timid, weak young player came in for $2, a $1 raise, with a queen showing. This meant either split queens or pocket jacks, kings or aces. Or rolled queens, of course. I was one down, with split aces and made it $5. We both caught unsuited blanks, with me betting $3 and him calling to sixth where he caught a second queen. He got a very excited look and waited for me to bet, then realized the action was to him and put in $3 immediately. I folded.

I put him on trip queens there with enough certainty that I felt one of the two remaining aces was my only out, assuming he wasn't already full -- in which case I was drawing dead. With $23 in the pot and only $3 to call, I'm getting better than 6 to 1 so I'd better be right. It did occur to me after that he might have acted the same way if he'd had kings in the pocket, or even the other two aces.

So this fold was a mistake, right? I should have called here and folded the river if I don't make a second pair or trips.

08-31-2002, 11:42 PM