PDA

View Full Version : Dodgers clinch a tie!!

M2d
10-01-2004, 02:32 AM
hey, it's something.

The Dude
10-01-2004, 04:36 AM
Yeah, it's especially fun considering how nobody gave them a chance at the beginning of the year. All you heard about in the LA in May was Anaheim. Good Lord I hope they lose to the A's.

andyfox
10-01-2004, 12:27 PM
Last night's game really didn't mean much. The Giants still have to sweep the last three games against the Dodgers. All it did was get the Dodgers another chance on Monday should they manage to lose all three. They'd probably be the wild card anyway. And either way, they're going to play the Cardinals.

The best part about the Dodgers playing the Giants is not having to listen to Scully telling us every time Felipe Alou coughed in his excruciatingly detailed play-by-play of the game we weren't watching.

M2d
10-01-2004, 12:39 PM
I was under the impression that the tie breaker game counts as a regular season game. If the dodgers get swept and Houston sweeps colorado, then the loser of the tie breaker between the dodgers and the giants is sol by percentage points.

andyfox
10-01-2004, 12:56 PM
You're right, the tie-breaker game does indeed count as a regular season game. (I don't understand why, but it does.) So indeed, the Dodgers could miss out altogether if everything goes wrong.

M2d
10-01-2004, 12:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...if everything goes wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]
ever since the O'Malley's left, this has always been a looming option in Dodgertown.

GuyOnTilt
10-01-2004, 01:03 PM
You're right, the tie-breaker game does indeed count as a regular season game.

It's hard to believe that MLB still has this stupid rule regarding tie-breakers, but hey, whatever benefits Houston is alright by me.

GoT

Clarkmeister
10-01-2004, 01:52 PM
Jim Tracy, in my opinion, is a top-5 manager in the league today.

SossMan
10-01-2004, 02:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The best part about the Dodgers playing the Giants is not having to listen to Scully telling us every time Felipe Alou coughed in his excruciatingly detailed play-by-play of the game we weren't watching.

[/ QUOTE ]

bagging on Vin? Now that's crossing a line in my book...bet you didn't know I had a book, huh?
Seriously though, Vin Scully IS the dodgers.

andyfox
10-01-2004, 02:19 PM
Used to love him, can't stand him now. Only the Dodgers and the Giants mean anything to him, he gives no other scores, no update on anything else. Time to move on. He's been broadcasting since 1950, when he was 22. He talks way too much on TV.

It won't happen, of course. But I understand Ross Porter might be let go at the end of the year.

andyfox
10-01-2004, 02:20 PM
He's definitely the best manager the Los Angeles Dodgers have ever had. Better than the two HOFers, IMO.

M2d
10-01-2004, 02:29 PM
actually, the dodgers, going back to brooklyn, have had 12 managers who are in the hall. not all of them for managing the dodgers, and not all of them for managing at all, but they're in there.

We'll see about your assessment of Tracy. he's probably a better game coach than Lasorda (maybe not Alston, though), but we have to see about the other aspects of the job. People say that dealing with Bradley shows how good he is, but they forget that Reggie Smith wasn't exactly Mr. Nice Guy in the clubhouse, as well.

GuyOnTilt
10-01-2004, 02:38 PM
Just kidding. Apparently MLB has changed the rule between the big '95 controversy and now. BP has an article (http://www.baseball-analysis.com/article.php?articleid=2293) on it.

GoT

Six_of_One
10-01-2004, 04:02 PM
Vin Scully is one of those guys who should never leave until he feels like it. No one should tell him different. I don't care if he spends the entire 9th inning of a tie game discussing the consistency of his stool, the job should still be his for however long he wants it.

I agree though, all that stuff about the Giants was a bit much.

SossMan
10-01-2004, 04:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Used to love him, can't stand him now. Only the Dodgers and the Giants mean anything to him, he gives no other scores, no update on anything else. Time to move on. He's been broadcasting since 1950, when he was 22. He talks way too much on TV.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't disagree more, but you are entitled to hold a wrong opinion /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I could listen to him read the dictionary.

Side note...my mom is about 50ish, grew up in SoCal and thought for the first 35 or so years of her life that the announcer for the dodgers was named Vince Gully.

andyfox
10-01-2004, 08:34 PM
No question, the two biggest sports stars in Los Angeles were Chick Hearn and Vin Scully. Bigger than Magic, bigger than Koufax, bigger than Shaq or Kobe.

The Student
10-02-2004, 11:09 AM
really? you hate vin scully? i simply cannot comprehend a statement like that. it's like eating your dodger dog with syrup. to me, scully IS baseball. i'll probably cry when he passes just like i did when gibson hit his limp-off HR in '88.

DCIAce
10-02-2004, 06:03 PM
Think Blue /images/graemlins/smile.gif

As I understand it:
The Dodgers would have to lose 5 straight games to not make the playoffs if Houston also sweeps the Rockies.

If Houston loses a game, and LA gets swept, LA/SF would play a tiebreaker for the division, and the loser would be the Wild Card.

If SF and Houston win out, LA and SF would play a NL West tiebreaker, then the loser of that game would play Houston in a NL WildCard tiebreaker.

Needless to say, if the Dodgers don't make the playoffs, I will be *pissed* /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Zeno
10-02-2004, 07:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Needless to say, if the Dodgers don't make the playoffs, I will be *pissed*

[/ QUOTE ]

8th inning over in game two with the Giants and the Dodgers are trying very hard to lose.

-Zeno

DCIAce
10-02-2004, 07:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Needless to say, if the Dodgers don't make the playoffs, I will be *pissed*

[/ QUOTE ]

8th inning over in game two with the Giants and the Dodgers are trying very hard to lose.

-Zeno

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, I've noticed.. watching mlb.com Gameday, since goddamn Fox put on the Angels/As game here. Anyways, the real reason that I'd be so annoyed, is that there are a lot of things that have to go wrong:
Dodgers must lose all 3 games at home to the Giants.
Houston must win all 3 games at home against the Rockies
Dodgers must lose a game in SF
Dodgers must lose a game against Houston (not sure where this one would be played)

..that's 8 games that have to go exactly wrong. 2 (going on 3, barring a miracle by the 5-6-7-8 Dodger hitters) games down, 6 (5) to go. *One* of them should go right. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Non_Comformist
10-02-2004, 07:31 PM
Bottom of 9 1 out and the Giants are doing everything they can to lose the game.

DCIAce
10-02-2004, 07:40 PM
*ponders doing a M. Andersson DAAAAAAA scream, decides against it*

3-3.. 1 out, bottom of the 9th, bases loaded, Finley up. Fly Ball'll win it. GO DODGERS! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Zeno
10-02-2004, 07:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bottom of 9 1 out and the Giants are doing everything they can to lose the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

They tied it up and I can't believe what I'm seeing. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

HOME RUN The Dodgers win. INfuckingcredable!!!

-zeno

Non_Comformist
10-02-2004, 07:44 PM
WOW that was awesome, absolutely amazing innning.

DCIAce
10-02-2004, 07:46 PM
...and WHAT A FLY BALL IT WAS!

Times like this make me appreciate Gagne even more. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Think Blue /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Zeno
10-02-2004, 07:46 PM
The former Diamondback wins it for the Dodgers.

What a game. The Giants fell apart in the 9th.

-Zeno

Ulysses
10-02-2004, 08:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What a game. The Giants fell apart in the 9th.

[/ QUOTE ]

And the Astros are rolling!