PDA

View Full Version : Watch me play like an ass!

Ajax410
10-01-2004, 12:47 AM
I had position, so I decided to cold-call a pre-flop raise with KQo (I really don't like this play). I then decide to try to increase pot equity by raising (I don't really like this play), but both opponents call. I then get it checked to me on the turn, and I check (I don't like this play either). Then I fold to a river bet. Should I have just folded this hand pre-flop? KQo on the button just seemed so nice at the time.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Hero calls, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+2 calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (6.75 BB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, MP1 checks, Hero checks.

River: (6.75 BB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero folds, UTG+2 folds.

Final Pot: 7.75 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 6.75 BB, won by MP1.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: 1 BB, returned to MP1.</font>

topspin
10-01-2004, 12:51 AM
Sounds like you already know this, but you need to fold this both preflop and on the flop. There's just no way you're ahead on the flop, and even your outs may be dirty. Since you're raising, you have to bet the turn and hope that MP1 has overcards and is capable of a fold.

Entity
10-01-2004, 12:52 AM
This hand should've ended preflop, then on the flop, then on the river.

You got 1 out of 3, but you know that. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rob

Ajax410
10-01-2004, 12:53 AM
So this is a definite pre-flop fold? I really wasn't sure when taking position into account. I also just wanted to post this hand since it's the worst I've played in about 2 weeks in my opinion. I was having a good go of it at my other 3 tables so I decided maybe I should try to push a few chips around here too...

Entity
10-01-2004, 12:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So this is a definite pre-flop fold? I really wasn't sure when taking position into account. I also just wanted to post this hand since it's the worst I've played in about 2 weeks in my opinion. I was having a good go of it at my other 3 tables so I decided maybe I should try to push a few chips around here too...

[/ QUOTE ]
It's a definite fold preflop. Cold calling with KQs is fine when the pots will be multiway, but KQo has got to go.

Rob

Piiop
10-01-2004, 12:57 AM
If you had a good read that the preflop raiser was very loose with his raising hands, you could 3-bet. Otherwise fold.

Cold-calling is just inviting the blinds into a multiway pot, which isn't good for KQo, especially against a PFR.

The button is nice, but look at your relative position. You're first to act, right after the PFR, so you're going to have a very tough time playing postflop.

JPNet
10-01-2004, 12:58 AM
Before the flop, you would only cold call with KQo if you were sure the raiser would raise with nothing. Almost never cold call.

Since you are in the hand, a flop raise isn't bad, it's either raise or fold. Who knows, maybe they will all fold, or at least give you a free card on the turn. You don't have many outs though. you sure can't count on the Ks or Qs being good.

You got the free card and you have nothing. I say take the free card.

On the river, the usual advice is to not fold for one more bet, but since you have nothing, and shouldn't have been in the hand to begin with it is probably a good idea to slip away quietly.

Piiop
10-01-2004, 12:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you would only cold call with KQo if you were sure the raiser would raise with nothing

[/ QUOTE ]

In that case, you would want to 3-bet.

JPNet
10-01-2004, 01:04 AM
Sounds good, normally raise or fold, with calling usually being the worst choice.

Gatts
10-01-2004, 03:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So this is a definite pre-flop fold? I really wasn't sure when taking position into account.

[/ QUOTE ]

Position doesn't make up for domination.