PDA

View Full Version : Basic ? about A10s

tiltaholic
09-30-2004, 11:47 PM
Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, Hero calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Hero should do what?
I clicked call and thought, undelete undelete! to no avail.
Obvious raise?

I feel dumb.

Entity
09-30-2004, 11:50 PM
Obvious raise. You'll get it next time. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rob

tiltaholic
10-01-2004, 12:01 AM
I was afraid you'd say that.
How was I supposed to know I'd river the nuts?
Oh well...just goes to show that you do forget the basics when you sop thinking about the game for a while (if you ever knew them to begin with).

ArchonsEngine
10-01-2004, 01:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I clicked call and thought, undelete undelete! to no avail.

[/ QUOTE ]

It didn't work for Strong Bad, so it probably won't work for you, either. I must admit, though, that I've had the exact same quote run through my head after making a play I knew was wrong. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

--ArchonsEngine

Morta
10-01-2004, 05:25 AM
Okay this is not to sound dumb but lately I have found myself also just calling that ( not by accident though). So could someone explain to me why that is an automatic raise preflop. Could one of the guys that already limped not have you dominated with like AJo or better. I always call in this spot so could someone set me straight and paint out to me why this is a raise /images/graemlins/smile.gif

detruncate
10-01-2004, 05:47 AM
People will limp any ace, and generally raise at least AK. AQ is frequently raised, and AJ is raised at least some of the time. With no raise, you most often haven the best ace.

You also quite likely have the best hand. Pocket jacks and above usually raise, pocket tens sometimes raise, and you're more or less even money against all other pocket pairs.

You are suited, and make the nut flush. You often win when your ace pairs, and win significantly frequently when your ten pairs. You'll also have the added pot equity associated with a backdoor or broadway straight draw/re-draw a lot of the time when you've paired or are drawing to your flush or 2-pair.

In short, lots of goodness packed in there. Allow your weak limping opponents an opportunity to donate a little more money. You win more than your share of it (i.e., you win more than 1/[# of opponents] times).

Evan
10-01-2004, 05:55 AM
Being suited and on the button is what really makes this an auto-raise.

DrBob
10-01-2004, 08:15 AM
In these games people are calling with much worse hands, and you must raise to build the pot with a holding much superior to average. It's true that the passive guys checking before you with big hands are a source of frustration, but you need to keep in mind that you're not raising here because you're an odds-on favorite to win, but because your pot equity significantly exceeds your "fair share". When that happens, you're still gambling, but you want to raise the stakes with a value raise. The reason you don't raise this hand in EP or maybe MP, is that then you still fear a raise, which changes the situation for ATs.

tiltaholic
10-01-2004, 09:27 AM
Yah, at least I burninated the countryside when the flush appeared - it still bugged me that I didn't raise pf though.

-t

tiltaholic
10-01-2004, 09:36 AM
So-

Would you agree that on the button with 3 loose passive limpers already in, I should also raise KQs, KJs, (K10s??), QJs, Q10s, (J10s??) - these hands I know I'm playing, it's just a question of raising vs. calling - KQs, KJs, QJs are autoraises for me, I honestly have no clue why I called the posted hand with A10s. What about A9s? I think that gets a raise too. (and AKs, AQs, AJs too clearly)

What about hands like K9s, Q9s, and 10-9s? Are those more marginal raises? I would definitely at least limp in with K9s and 10-9s, probably would fold Q9s.

What do you guys think?
-t

detruncate
10-01-2004, 03:32 PM
I generally raise ATs first in from anywhere. You have to be a bit careful re. possible domination, but you're still in pretty good shape vs a lot of even legitimate raising hands.

detruncate
10-01-2004, 03:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So-

Would you agree that on the button with 3 loose passive limpers already in, I should also raise KQs, KJs, (K10s??), QJs, Q10s, (J10s??) - these hands I know I'm playing, it's just a question of raising vs. calling - KQs, KJs, QJs are autoraises for me, I honestly have no clue why I called the posted hand with A10s. What about A9s? I think that gets a raise too. (and AKs, AQs, AJs too clearly)

What about hands like K9s, Q9s, and 10-9s? Are those more marginal raises? I would definitely at least limp in with K9s and 10-9s, probably would fold Q9s.

What do you guys think?
-t

[/ QUOTE ]

KQs,KJs I usually raise first in from everywhere. QJs, KTs, QTs, JTs, A9s I usually limp in early/early middle position, and often raise in MP3 (or so) back. T9s I limp everywhere at a decent table. K9s, Q9s, J9s, I limp in late position, and consider limping earlier at a particularly loose/passive table.

GrunchCan
10-01-2004, 03:55 PM
Of course, as game conditions dictate, you should adjust your play accordingly. But in general:

In an unraised pot on the button, in a tight game riase any suited broadway except QTs and JTs - with those, just call. In a loose game, raise with all suited broadway.

GrunchCan
10-01-2004, 03:58 PM
Raise PF. There's no pressure on the pot, you have a good chance to have the best hand/best draw. The reaction to your aggression PF and after the flop will give you more information about what your opponents hold than passive play ever will.

DMBFan23
10-01-2004, 05:47 PM
yeah definitely gotta raise.

was that a Strongbad quote you slipped in there?

DMBFan23
10-01-2004, 05:48 PM
on the button with enough limpers, in an unraised pot, I'm raising OJs and JTs in tight and loose games. same from the big blind.