PDA

View Full Version : Loose Gameplay

matt hooley
09-30-2004, 10:46 PM
In the "loose games" chapter of HFAP the authors advise playing Axs, Kxs, and even Qxs type hands in an unraised pot (although the later two are restricted to the late positions). It is stated that correct play of such hands can mean that "you hit your hand and still throw it away," meaning you hit your top pair but depending on the situation have to give it up.

My problem is I'm exremely skeptical of a hand like Q5s because such hands are not even considered playable by the rankings of the same book. My question then is should Qxs be played every possible time in a good loose game from the button or possibly the CO? or should this be restricted or done only on occasion?
thoughts?

TwoShedsJackson
10-01-2004, 06:28 AM
This is entirely dependent on the table situation in my opinion. You need to be aware of who exactly has entered the pot before you if it comes to you unraised in the CO or on the button.

If three or more LAG type players have called the BB I would definitely call in either position with a Kx or Qx suited. The top pair aspect of the hand would be dubious as your kicker will clearly be poor, obviously the flush is your best chance of winning the pot, as such players will call so often with unsuited cards that it gives you an edge.

On the other hand if tight or rock type players have called I would be more inclined to fold a Qx suited, the Kx might still be possible. I'll almost always fold either to a raise, even if I don't respect the raiser.

turnipmonster
10-01-2004, 10:30 AM
hey matt,
pick up a copy of small stakes hold 'em by ed miller. it's much better than the loose games section of HFAP. QXs is almost always trash.

--turnipmonster

sfer
10-01-2004, 11:34 AM
Folding Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif preflop is a disaster.