PDA

View Full Version : Slow play these trips or bet out?

GlemZurg
09-30-2004, 10:08 PM
I'm thinking I either check and bet the turn or I bet 1/2 the pot (0.25).

How would you play this situation?

Thanks,
Justin

Paradise Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (7 handed)

GlemZurg ($10.00)
CO ($7.58)
Button ($10.55)
SB ($18.66)
BB ($9.60)
UTG ($17.00)
MP1 ($50.28)

Preflop: GlemZurg is MP2 with 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.05.
UTG calls $0.10, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, GlemZurg calls $0.10, CO calls $0.10, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, SB (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.50) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="red">GlemZurg ???</font>

Brian462
09-30-2004, 10:21 PM
This is a routine bet out for me. If you had an ace kicker I could see checking but when I have trips with a weak kicker I like to play it fast. I don't think you would get much action on the turn except from someone elses slowplayed trips or better, at which point you would have to worry about your kicker.

You might get someone to bet out at the turn but they're not likely to call a raise because it is very obvious once you come alive on the turn what you have.

Of course there are exceptions here based on reads but this is my standard play here.

GlemZurg
09-30-2004, 11:49 PM
I checked this hand, bet the turn, and beat someone with trips but weaker kicker.

So I got to wondering: How could possibly give me action on the turn who wouldn't on the flop?

Thanks for the advice. I'll play it that way in the future.

Justin

nrinker
10-01-2004, 01:28 AM
you could get action at party poker tables, say you check that and next card is ace guy has his top pair, hed play alot of the time. Atleast it seems that way from what I have seen.

I agree though you should attack on the flop with the 10s, but a question beyond that is, what happens if you get reraised big, or all in for that matter (assuming you dont have a read on the player).

GlemZurg
10-01-2004, 02:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
but a question beyond that is, what happens if you get reraised big, or all in for that matter (assuming you dont have a read on the player).

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have bet the pot 0.50 and if he did a big bet back at me or all-in I'd fold. Here's my thought process:

I would figure he would have three tens or a full house. The player with the tens in this case was CO. Here are the hands I would think he would limp with (along with the number of possible combinations):

AT (4 hands--one ten x four aces)
KT (4 hands)
QT (4 hands)
JT (4 hands)
T9 (3 hands)
T8 (4 hands--wouldn't think of this but it's what he had /images/graemlins/smile.gif)
33 (6 hands)

I would think CO would throw away the others hands (since no read on him). In that case there are 22 hands that have me beat, 3 hands that I tie, and 4 hands that I beat. If we split the ties between winning and losing, my odds are 23.5:5.5 or 4.3:1.

Or in short... The 9 kicker puts me way on the weak end of the stick and I have a huge chance of being second best hand.

Also if a big reraise came it would only have been a $1 pot (with my raise) and not hard to walk away from.

Justin

AncientPC
10-01-2004, 02:40 PM
PF: Fold.

F: Bet out, since your kicker sucks you may have to fold vs heavy resistence. If they only call keep betting all the way to river.

Tilt
10-01-2004, 03:10 PM
You have to bet this - one standard bet. If you have been reasonably aggressive you'll get some action from people who think you are bluffing and who have an ace. Someone may have a pocket pair as well that will play back at you.

Don't fold it to just one raise, that is weak. With blinds this small you could have people limping with any two cards. You have a base probability of 89% to win this hand.

AncientPC
10-01-2004, 03:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You have to bet this - one standard bet. If you have been reasonably aggressive you'll get some action from people who think you are bluffing and who have an ace. Someone may have a pocket pair as well that will play back at you.

Don't fold it to just one raise, that is weak. With blinds this small you could have people limping with any two cards. You have a base probability of 89% to win this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's a standard bet?

So you're saying that if someone pushes all in you'd still call?

eyekast
10-01-2004, 03:58 PM
fold pre flop