PDA

View Full Version : "Debate" Impressions, Five Minutes In

Bill Murphy
09-30-2004, 09:15 PM
Good Lord, this is just pitiful; worse than I'd feared, from the both of them.

tolbiny
09-30-2004, 09:19 PM
Kerry's getting really negative.

Dynasty
09-30-2004, 09:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Good Lord, this is just pitiful; worse than I'd feared, from the both of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

wacki
09-30-2004, 09:47 PM
I don't see Kerry doing bad, I see Bush choking

"My opponent just said ..."
"My opponent said ..."
"My opponent just said ..."
"My opponent said ..."
"Did you not hear what my opponent just said?"

He's right, but he sounds so childish saying it. I can't even watch. Newt specifically advised against dropping to that level before the debate.

MaxPower
09-30-2004, 09:52 PM
I think the key moment for Bush was when he confused Saddam Hussein and Osama Bin Laden.

Otherwise, he is doing well.

MaxPower
09-30-2004, 09:54 PM
Kerry should stop pointing at the President.

Dynasty
09-30-2004, 09:54 PM
Bush is fairly focused on a few themes

1. Kerry has insulted our allies by saying things like "they are the coalition of the bribed".

2. Kerry, by saying "wrong war, wrong time, etc.", doesn't have the credibility to lead in this war.

3. Kerry has had multiple positions on the war.

For me, it sometimes sounds like he's repeating himself too much. But for voters who don't constantly pay attention to this stuff, maybe he's just pounding home his themes.

I find it interesting that Bush has requested the additional 30 seconds about half a dozen times already. I don't remember seeing Kerry make that request once yet.

Dynasty
09-30-2004, 09:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the key moment for Bush was when he confused Saddam Hussein and Osama Bin Laden.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's nothing for Bush. It's "Bush-speak" and he immediately corrected himself. Another politician could get into trouble with stuff like that (but not this specific example). But it ends up just being part of Bush's charm.

theBruiser500
09-30-2004, 09:56 PM
In my opinion, Kerry is crushing Bush.

theBruiser500
09-30-2004, 09:58 PM
I find the irony amusing in that after Bush keeps talking about how offense is the best policy, "offense is the best defense," he has been completely on the defense this entire debate.

Nepa
09-30-2004, 09:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He's right, but he sounds so childish saying it. I can't even watch. Newt specifically advised against dropping to that level before the debate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard Newt say that myself today and I totally agreed with him.

tolbiny
09-30-2004, 10:00 PM
seems to be on the upswing- and bush is getting into serious scare tactics.

tanda
09-30-2004, 10:05 PM
"I can do better"

"We can do better"

Platitudes.

Dynasty
09-30-2004, 10:07 PM
25 minutes left and I don't think there's been a big moment or big soundbite. Kerry has provided the normal and expected criticisms of Bush's foreign policy. Bush has regularly hit on Kerry's unreliabilty.

tanda
09-30-2004, 10:09 PM
I sense Kerry will be perceived a small winner. He has done well, not on policy, but style.

He has no policy ... negative, I can do better, I am not Bush, etc.

Dynasty
09-30-2004, 10:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I sense Kerry will be perceived a small winner. He has done well, not on policy, but style.

He has no policy ... negative, I can do better, I am not Bush, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've wondered if Kerry simply looking Presidential and likeable would close the gap in who voters perceive as better for the War on Terro. In 1980, voters were worried about Reagan. The debate took those concernes away.

If showing up and looking Presidential is enough, the Kerry has accomplished something. If he has to do more, I think the debate will be a missed opportunity for him (with 15 minutes left).

Abednego
09-30-2004, 10:16 PM
I think more will believe the Presidents theme: Establishment of a free and Democratic country in that part of the world is good for US security, then will believe the Senators theme: I can do a better job.

Non_Comformist
09-30-2004, 10:33 PM
I agree much depends on how decided the President's current lead is. I don't think Kerry did anything to win the debate or provided any "wow" moments but he did well and for the first time seemed clear on his positions.

I thought Bush did well but absolutely failed to put Kerry away as he could of tonight. I also though President Bush was repitiive.

I support President Bush so I have a natural bias.

ThaSaltCracka
09-30-2004, 10:34 PM
I was waiting for this debate because I am on the fence as to who to vote for, and to be honest, Kerry killed Bush. Bush came across as unprepared and unarticulate, it was almost like watching a car accident.

wacki
09-30-2004, 10:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was waiting for this debate because I am on the fence as to who to vote for, and to be honest, Kerry killed Bush. Bush came across as unprepared and unarticulate, it was almost like watching a car accident.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Tonight was the night Bush could of crushed Kerry. Instead it was the other way around. What's sad, was that everything Bush was saying was correct but he still looked like an A$$. Kerry contradicted himself numerous times during the debate and Bush never attacked that.

tolbiny
09-30-2004, 10:41 PM
I was trying to watch it as an undecided (which is nearly impossible as i have decided to vote for a non bush candidate) and i feel a lot more comfortable voting for Kerry after this debate. I think he was a lot clearer and made his stance known on most issues (if he sticks to it well post debate) and Bush quickly ran out of things to say, was very repetetive and looked fairly tired at the end of the debate.
FWIW i think the time limits helped Kerry, forcing him to be concise, he also adopted a lot of Clinton's mannerisms... wonder how that will play out.

ThaSaltCracka
09-30-2004, 10:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Kerry contradicted himself numerous times during the debate and Bush never attacked that.

[/ QUOTE ] I didn't notice anything especially. I thought Kerry did a very good job of explaining his stance on the war in Iraq.

I also saw several times in which Bush seemed to dance around certain questions, like about how long are troops will be in Iraq.

BrettK
09-30-2004, 10:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The President seemed to have prepared several thirty-second speeches in advance and was having trouble connecting them. He went from stuttering, mumbling and staring down at his papers to looking straight at the camera and speaking confidently and back again several times. I wouldn't call it a car accident, but I might compare it to someone traveling cross-country and making several lengthy stops along the way.

Brett

ThaSaltCracka
09-30-2004, 10:54 PM
LOL, well whatever you want to to call it, it wasn't good. I forgot about Bush's little "what is the global test?", good god, how dumb can a he be?

anatta
09-30-2004, 11:25 PM
Kerry was nervous at first, not a good time to be off his game, as many Americans probably just watch the first few minutes. The final 2/3rd of the debate was painful to watch. I don't like Bush, but I really felt sorry for him.

I thought it was important to point out the obvious. 200 billion, Bush failed to capture Bin Laden, more dead this month than last. A large percentage of Americans simply don't know this. I thought Kerry reminded people that he saw combat, and Bush complimented him on his service. This goes a long way to healing the wounds Kerry campaign suffered at the hands of Swift Boat Vets. "hey the President said he served admirably". Kerry came across as human to me. He looked like a good guy, after the Bush compliment, talking about the girls, etc. Kerry stood up straight...okay I stop.

wacki
09-30-2004, 11:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I also saw several times in which Bush seemed to dance around certain questions, like about how long are troops will be in Iraq.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree. Kerry said 6 months. Bush said, when the job gets done. I don't see that as dancing. In fact, I think Bushes answer was much more realistic. You can't predict that kind of stuff.

vulturesrow
10-01-2004, 12:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I forgot about Bush's little "what is the global test?", good god, how dumb can a he be?

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you talking about ? that was probably one of Bush's best lines of the night. I am sort of curious about this "global test" as well.