PDA

View Full Version : Home Game NL Hand

09-02-2001, 07:42 AM
Playing a 5 handed NL game at a friend's when the following comes up.

Blinds are 2.50-5. I am in SB. All fold to cut-off who raises $10. Pretty standard raise with two high cards or small pair from this player. I call in SB with Jd8d. BB calls.

Flop is QdTd7c. I bet the pot ($30). BB goes all-in for $310. Cut-off goes all-in for $475.

I have them both covered. What is my play?

KJS

09-02-2001, 09:24 AM
Dont think about call

09-03-2001, 11:10 PM
The cutoff is certainly representing a set, but what should worry you most is if the BB has AdKd. It will cost you $445 to win $845 (I am going to ignore the possibility that you win the side pot and lose the main pot), so you need to win at least 34.5% of the time to make a call profitable.

If you have 10 outs (discounting the 11th out as a rough approximation for those times a running pair with a diamond comes), you make your draw 38% of the time. Unfortunately you cannot protect yourself from redraws since your opponents are all in, and another diamond, a jack, or a board pair probably ruins your hand. Combine this with the fact that BB could have you drawing to 4 outs with an AdKd, and I think you have an easy fold.

09-04-2001, 01:33 AM
fold. the extra person actually hurts you as it makes your draw more likely to be not the best. thats what you get for calling raises out of position with jack eight.

09-04-2001, 06:02 PM
You're right Ray. It was a bad move pre-flop. I was way up and feeling frisky.

I did fold on the flop. The first all-in had Q7 for flopped two pair, the raiser had AA so only an overpair on flop. I would have won the hand with a straight. Not unhappy with my decision though; I too thought many of my outs were shared.

KJS

PS. I fudged the limits. This was a much smaller game (only .25-.50 blinds).

09-04-2001, 06:03 PM
That was my thinking too. I folded. Results under Ray's post.

Thanks.

KJS

09-04-2001, 06:07 PM
Your play can't become any easier than this. FOLD! Since you cant be sure of winning even if you hit your draw I dont like the situation. Even if you would be drawing to the nutflush with straight option it's still an easy fold. You dont lose what you dont put in the middle and this isn't the pot to risk your stack in.

What I don't understand from the beginning is why you would see the flop with that hand, especially since you have a read on the preflop raiser saying small pair or two high cards putting you at best at even money if you'd be 1-1 with him.

09-04-2001, 08:25 PM
Fat,

Truth be told this was only a .25-.50 blind game. I was way up and feeling frisky. Thought I had a good read on the player and could get out fast or try to make a big score after the flop. It was still a bad call, I agree.

KJS

09-05-2001, 01:27 PM
Guess one can take chances every now and then. It's always fun to break someone ;)