PDA

View Full Version : Take Rolf's Quiz and discuss...

tpir90036
09-30-2004, 07:20 PM
http://www.pokerpages.com/articles/archives/slotboom04a.php3

I only managed to get an 86. I need to work on my game and read some books. How high did you score? Agree with the answers?

-tpir

B Dids
09-30-2004, 07:23 PM
I got an 87. I just don't know how to lay down AK or JJ preflop.

spamuell
09-30-2004, 07:29 PM
He says to fold AJo UTG and is then consistent in his saying to fold AK to a raise if the raiser is only raising AK or maybe JJ and up UTG. But people just don't play like this, even "a professional player".

bisonbison
09-30-2004, 07:32 PM
Selecting fold for every question, I scored 77.

Trix
09-30-2004, 07:33 PM
Cool, I scored 77 doing what I usually do...

Entity
09-30-2004, 07:34 PM
I got an 83. I'm sad. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Chris Daddy Cool
09-30-2004, 07:43 PM
i took this test last night and realized "i am not yet a winnnig player."

MoreWineII
09-30-2004, 07:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You're in the small blind, holding Ah Ks. Seat # 2 has raised, everybody has folded. What do you do?

fold (7 points)

call (5 points)

raise (4 points)

Best Answer: fold

The raiser figures to have a high pair or AK as well (remember, he's a professional player raising under the gun). Why get involved when your hand is an underdog to begin with? You don't know where you're at in the hand: if you flop a king, you might lose a lot of money; if you flop an ace when the raiser has in fact a wired pair, you might not get any action; if you flop nothing but he doesn't have anything either he might outplay you and make you lay down the best hand.

7) Same situation. This time you hold Ah Kh. What do you do?

fold (7 points)

call (6 points)

raise (4 points)

Best Answer: fold

The fact that your hand is suited isn't really important here. If your call induces a call by the big blind, then your hand might be playable. However, folding is still the best option: why invest a lot of money when there's nothing in the pot, out of position when you know your opponent /images/graemlins/heart.gifhas a real hand /images/graemlins/heart.gif?

[/ QUOTE ]

eh?

AKs isn't a real hand?

Nate tha' Great
09-30-2004, 07:53 PM
This article is just horrible.

Warik
09-30-2004, 08:00 PM
Scored an 80. Then went back and made some weak preflop folds and boosted my score to 86.

Folding AK and JJ preflop vs 1 or 2 opponents = preflop girlie men.

Flame away.

Warik
09-30-2004, 08:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
AKs isn't a real hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

nope... fake as my confidence in the skill of whomever wrote this article.

Rico Suave
09-30-2004, 08:05 PM
Sadly, Rolf does not think I am a winning player and thinks I should go read some more books.

--Rico

STLantny
09-30-2004, 08:06 PM
Your score: 90 suck it rolf.
6) I picked raise, and im right.
7) I picked raise, and Im right.
11) This one is debateable. The free card play doesnt work. But, I also didnt really read the players and their seats, ie I had no idea he was weak-tight...but in general.
13) You have some moron cold calling, and you hold JJ. Raise it you sissy mary.
14) Im sorry I like Ajo in this position.

Jonny Melon
09-30-2004, 08:16 PM
It's articles like these that reinforce the thinking that weak tight = good player. I hope to god someone reads this, and when I raise AQo UTG, they throw away their AKs.

Ed Miller
09-30-2004, 08:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Your score: 80

Evaluation:

50-80 points

You haven't grasped the essence of playing hold'em yet. Practice some more on the computer (software / free tournaments), buy some books and play low-limit hold'em only, because you're not ready to step up yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I got.

Chris Daddy Cool
09-30-2004, 08:26 PM
dude... and to think i bought a book from you...

jrobb83
09-30-2004, 08:32 PM
I got an 80, apparently I "haven't quite grasped holdem yet."

Ed Miller
09-30-2004, 08:44 PM
1. Call - You have middle pair, backdoor flush draw, overcard kicker, and you are getting 8-to-1 closing the action 3-handed. "Pro" could easily be betting diamonds, so you may well have the best hand. Folding is ridiculous to me.

2. Raise - Self-explanatory

3. Raise - People suck. When people suck, ace-jack becomes a good hand.

4. Raise - If I somehow managed to flop the nut flush draw and put ZERO action in on the flop and turn... I'd raise here. Going for overcalls is cute, but after the turn gets checked around, you are gonna see both of them fold VERY often. And they aren't folding a straight anyway... much better off getting the (almost) sure bet from the original bettor here.

5. Bet and raise - You have big hand, and flop bettor is on your right. Betting out is clearly right.

6. Raise - Please Rolf. We've been over this.

7. Raise - See #6 except this is even more ridiculous.

8. Raise - When the initial raiser is a maniac, this is a 3-bet for me. But it's close... pocket treys is a weak hand to be putting three bets in with. Thank god the blinds are tight. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

9. Raise - Resteal.

10. Raise - Calling SUCKS. You have huge draw in huge pot with huge position.

11. Raise - Free card, etc.

12. Fold - I misunderstood this question when Rolf originally posed it. I thought we were still on the flop (as in the last question) and had flopped a straight draw in a big pot. Instead, it's folded to us preflop... with a pro in the big blind, this is a fold.

13. Reraise - I can't believe anyone would even think to fold here.

14. Call - Open raise from average player in middle position. You can probably call profitably. If he's a tight raiser, or if he doesn't open up his raising standards from MP, then fold. If he's a good player, then fold.

edthayer
09-30-2004, 08:58 PM
I got an 84, and I'm damn proud of it too. (Mostly because my answers were similar to Ed Miller's instead of Rolf's wacky play... folding AKs to a raise, c'mon).

caseycjc
09-30-2004, 09:08 PM
I got an 88, Ed, thanks you for clarifying the AK, AKs and JJ. I was dumbfounded when I saw Rolfs answers!

nepenthe
09-30-2004, 09:20 PM
I've taken it and am also not good enough to be a winning player yet. Thank God.

TheJackal
09-30-2004, 09:23 PM
I got an 81... my answers were closer to Ed Miller's than Rolf's, but than again I just read his book LOL.

tolbiny
09-30-2004, 09:40 PM
88 BIATCHES!!! actually makes me worried, im not going back to playing till i get a lower score. (he is scoring it like golf right?)

B Dids
09-30-2004, 10:46 PM
Good- I was feeling really bad that I had the highest score so far.

Nottom
09-30-2004, 11:11 PM
I got a 79. I think most of my answers were raise.

STLantny
09-30-2004, 11:17 PM
Wait, I gotta 90, does that mean Im bad?

DesertCat
09-30-2004, 11:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You're in the big blind with Ah 3h. There have been no raises, five people see the flop Td 8h 5h. You have checked and called the flop (seat # 4 has been the bettor) and all four remaining players have checked the turn (Ks). A third heart comes on the river (9h) and the small blind comes out betting. What do you do?

Best Answer: call

This is a good time to go for the overcall. The players behind you must have made something (small flush, straight) with the nine, hands that might be good enough for one, but not for two bets. The small blind might be bluffing, might fold against your raise or, if you get reraised, your hand might not even be good.

[/ QUOTE ]

This must be why I'm such a crappy player. I'm not arguing with the advice to try for the overcalls, I'd do the same. But I also don't worry about my ace high flush losing to the only hand (76h) that can beat it until after I've been reraised. If my call elicits a raiser I'm taking advantage to re-raise...

nepenthe
09-30-2004, 11:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wait, I gotta 90, does that mean Im bad?

[/ QUOTE ]

DEFENESTRATE THIS INFIDEL FROM THE 2+2 CASTLE TOWER.

GuyOnTilt
09-30-2004, 11:48 PM
Hey Ed,

I was pleasantly surprised to see that we had identical answers and reasoning on every question. There may be hope for you yet. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

GoT

Ed Miller
09-30-2004, 11:48 PM
DEFENESTRATE THIS INFIDEL FROM THE 2+2 CASTLE TOWER.

Defenestration owns.

Ed Miller
09-30-2004, 11:50 PM
I was pleasantly surprised to see that we had identical answers and reasoning on every question. There may be hope for you yet.

Bleh. That just means you got an 80 also. Time to hit the books, dude.

Nottom
09-30-2004, 11:52 PM
I think my answers match NPAEM's except I went for a steal with 65. Granted I thought it was on the flop, but I don't think its an awful place to steal. (remember this pro is only raising hands that have AKs in trouble preflop, so hes not all that good /images/graemlins/wink.gif)

Nate tha' Great
09-30-2004, 11:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
8. Raise - When the initial raiser is a maniac, this is a 3-bet for me. But it's close... pocket treys is a weak hand to be putting three bets in with. Thank god the blinds are tight. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

This one is tough. When you're playing a small pair, it's essential to be able to put your opponent on a range of hands so you know how likely the board is to have paired him. So oddly enough, this may be a 3-bet against a player who is SOMEWHAT LAG, but in a somewhat predictable way, but a fold against a player who is EXTREMELY LAG.

pudley4
10-01-2004, 12:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was pleasantly surprised to see that we had identical answers and reasoning on every question. There may be hope for you yet.

Bleh. That just means you got an 80 also. Time to hit the books, dude.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got an 81 with exactly the same answers as you two (call #1, fold #12, call #14, bet/raise everything else) /images/graemlins/confused.gif

colgin
10-01-2004, 12:37 AM
My actual score was 85 (which given Rolf's thinking makes me worried that I scored too high ) but got around 95=% in terms of what I thought he was looking for as an answer.

Some of his advice is so weak-tight that it makes Ciaffone look like Dynasty or Clarkmeister.

Sundevils21
10-01-2004, 12:50 AM
I got a 79 and am obviously not good enough to play at the folding AKs preflop type of level.
My wife got an 89.
Does that mean she's 10% better than I am? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Everyone should have their wife/girlfriend/roomate/brother/whoever else lives with you, take this test. I wonder what % of casual/non players would beat their 2+2 counterparts.

Monty Cantsin
10-01-2004, 01:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You're in the big blind with Ah 3h. There have been no raises, five people see the flop Td 8h 5h. You have checked and called the flop (seat # 4 has been the bettor) and all four remaining players have checked the turn (Ks). A third heart comes on the river (9h) and the small blind comes out betting. What do you do?

Best Answer: call

This is a good time to go for the overcall. The players behind you must have made something (small flush, straight) with the nine, hands that might be good enough for one, but not for two bets. The small blind might be bluffing, might fold against your raise or, if you get reraised, your hand might not even be good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's take a moment to examine the board:

T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif K/images/graemlins/spade.gif 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif

Here's what's in our hand:

A/images/graemlins/heart.gif 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif

The article:

"your hand might not even be good."

Yowza!

/mc

Mikey
10-01-2004, 01:05 AM
I got a 97.

jluker7
10-01-2004, 01:44 AM
hahaha... is rolf a pro? I think so.

edthayer
10-01-2004, 02:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]

T 8 5 K 9

A 3

The article:

Yowza!

[/ QUOTE ]

Given the opportunity, I'm going to cap this every single time, so help me Jesus.

bisonbison
10-01-2004, 02:46 AM
SLOTBOOM is the new "awesome".

Michael Davis
10-01-2004, 03:14 AM
Oh man. Nice catch.

-Michael

nepenthe
10-01-2004, 03:17 AM
What's just as shocking is that this guy apparently believes hands like made small flushes "might be" good for one bet, but not for two.

Ed Miller
10-01-2004, 05:57 AM
When you're playing a small pair, it's essential to be able to put your opponent on a range of hands so you know how likely the board is to have paired him. So oddly enough, this may be a 3-bet against a player who is SOMEWHAT LAG, but in a somewhat predictable way, but a fold against a player who is EXTREMELY LAG.

Nah. I'd certainly 3-bet against someone who raises 100% of the time preflop as long as I thought my 3-bet would usually fold both blinds. Bottom line is you have position, overlay from dead blind money, and a decent hand. Often you are gonna end up paying him off when he pairs, but just as often he's gonna pay you off when he doesn't pair... and sometimes he'll go off big when you flop a set.

Of course, the 3-bet is even stronger if the guy is readable postflop, but it's not a neccessity.

Ed Miller
10-01-2004, 06:02 AM
The article:

Yowza!

Maybe that's why you get two points for folding.

rivered
10-01-2004, 07:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
98-105 points

Congratulations. You seem to be an expert hold'em player and you should be able to make a lot of money playing this game. Stay away from my table as far as possible, please.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm?

MAxx
10-01-2004, 09:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
dude... and to think i bought a book from you...

[/ QUOTE ]

awesome

47outs
10-01-2004, 09:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's articles like these that reinforce the thinking that weak tight = good player. I hope to god someone reads this, and when I raise AQo UTG, they throw away their AKs.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this happens, I'll eat the corn out of your /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Trix
10-01-2004, 09:40 AM
Having rofl slotbooms shania I think the 76s on the button is a clear openraise with a weak-tight SB and a pro BB.

I folded the 33, else I agree with the rest.

47outs
10-01-2004, 09:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]

3. Raise - People suck. When people suck, ace-jack becomes a good hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because they suck, it doesn't mean they don't get good cards once in a while. Assuming we are still talking about a ten handed game, AJo blows big donkey /images/graemlins/shocked.gif.

For the record, I scored 92. Whoever wrote this article is a bloomin genius. He did screw up on the 8 points I got wrong though.

outs

47outs
10-01-2004, 09:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Having rofl slotbooms shania I think the 76s on the button is a clear openraise with a weak-tight SB and a pro BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

Weak-Tight turns into a raging lunitic when they know your on a steal. Have some pairs or faces when attacking blinds, 67 just wont do.

I folded 33 as well.

outs

Trix
10-01-2004, 10:14 AM
How do he know that I´m on a steal ?

[ QUOTE ]
Have some pairs or faces when attacking blinds, 67 just wont do.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you know this ? You have much experince openraising 76s vs weak-tight SB, good BB ? and found it to be -EV?

sfer
10-01-2004, 10:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto.

Anyone else think #10 is totaly retarded? I've got equity oozing out of every orifice and he wants to call?

And I love the AKo in the blinds to an UTG raise. Uhhh, 3-bet? Sooted? Uhhh, how much can I raise--can I raise twice?

razor
10-01-2004, 10:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just because they suck, it doesn't mean they don't get good cards once in a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

I try not to worry so much about once in a while because once in a while only comes around once in a while.

MoreWineII
10-01-2004, 11:22 AM
Usually I agree with you, sfer, but in this case you only have AKs. UTG MIGHT HAVE A REAL HAND (see #7)!!!111

C'mon now.

Victor
10-01-2004, 11:23 AM
I know he posts here. He oughta stop by to defend his answers. I would love to see it.

FWIW, I got a 77 but I was ony 2 diff than EM.

10-01-2004, 11:46 AM
Rolf offers great advice here. I managed to obtain a perfect score.

The reason you don't agree is because you are all online poker maniacs. You effin morons probably chose bet or raise for every answer. I hate all of you. blah blah blah blah blah

-Bob Ciaffone

P.S.- I'm a weak-tight idiot, but I write some damn good books

junkmail3
10-01-2004, 11:48 AM
They're not just throwing away AKs, they're throwing it away for 1 SB. But, I guess the only thing it could flop is a gutshot, at best.

MoreWineII
10-01-2004, 12:00 PM
Here's a sobering bit of knowledge that some of you might need to think about.

Unless you have a **Royal Flush**, you might not even have the best hand.

Keep that in mind next time you consider hitting the raise button.

My motto: No Royal, No Raise.

MaxPower
10-01-2004, 12:12 PM
Rolf seems to think a tight-aggressive game is one where 5-7 players see each flop.

I scored an 87. I guess I need to learn some more about the game so I can get a lower score.

sfer
10-01-2004, 12:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Rolf seems to think a tight-aggressive game is one where 5-7 players see each flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I wasn't the only one who noticed that.

tipperdog
10-01-2004, 12:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif K/images/graemlins/spade.gif 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif

A/images/graemlins/heart.gif 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif

The article:

Yowza!

/mc

[/ QUOTE ]

I, too, chose raise...but this sub-thread is quoting Rolf out of context, and that's not fair. He did NOT predict that your hand isn't good here, rather, he wrote: "IF YOU ARE RAISED, your hand may not be good" (meaning, of course, that 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif is the nuts).

Now, if I'm 3-bet, I certainly 4-bet. But if I were 5-bet I'd call, as I'm sure most posters would. Rolf wasn't predicting that your flush wasn't good...he was simply reminding you that you don't have the nuts.

tipperdog
10-01-2004, 12:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

13. Reraise - I can't believe anyone would even think to fold here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ed, This is the JJ hand (You have JJ in cutoff, raised and cold called in front of you). Change the situation so the cold caller 3-bets instead. Is your answer the same?

chesspain
10-01-2004, 12:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Your score: 80

Evaluation:

50-80 points

You haven't grasped the essence of playing hold'em yet. Practice some more on the computer (software / free tournaments), buy some books and play low-limit hold'em only, because you're not ready to step up yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I got.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha, I got an 84...I want a refund on my book purchase. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

TommyTutone
10-01-2004, 12:36 PM
My score of 74 (the lowest posted yet?) clearly makes me the superior player and I would ask that you go ahead and make checks out to...

Wahoo91
10-01-2004, 12:46 PM
75 for me, I am way too aggressive for this quiz.

PokerNoob
10-01-2004, 01:00 PM
Is this good advice for Vegas midlimit B&M play, or does Rolf bring way to much Omaha attitude to the hold 'em tables?

randomchamp
10-01-2004, 01:08 PM
I scored low. Everyone send me your online banking info so I can refund the 2/bb per hour I've made over the last 250,000 hands..........

MoreWineII
10-01-2004, 01:11 PM
Same situation, now you have QQ/KK. Do you muck? Raise, re-raise *certainly* means KK/AA, no?

Monty Cantsin
10-01-2004, 01:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Rolf wasn't predicting that your flush wasn't good...he was simply reminding you that you don't have the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, his comment was provided as one of the reasons not to raise. Telling people they should worry about being behind the straight flush, especially when the way the hand played out makes it almost impossibly unlikely, is redonkulous.

/mc

Homer315
10-01-2004, 01:56 PM
I beat Ed Miller!! (by one point)

I'm moving to Vegas, and starting to play professionally.

Oh, I'm going to write a book too.

I swear, the day I fold AKs to a pre-flop raise, or don't raise my Ace high flush because someone MIGHT have a str8 flush is the day I quit playing poker. I mean, what's the friggin point?

Apparently Rolf only plays A-A from the button. Everything else he folds...

Homer315
10-01-2004, 02:08 PM
Honestly, the more I think about it, (and I am not a conspiracy theorist wacko) the more I wonder whether Rolf intentionally gives misleading advice in this column so as to lead people astray. I have an incredibly difficult time believing he thinks these are the optimum plays.

If he is trying to teach people to play weak tight when starting off, a la WLLH, then progress upwards, maybe that's one thing, but he represents these moves as the *best* ones.

I feel like I need to shower after reading his advice.

Cerril
10-01-2004, 02:26 PM
You know... the problem isn't necessarily Rolf's play in these situations - if his reads are right (i.e. a coldcall means an amazing hand, a raise from the pro means 'a better hand than you').

Of course, that means our friend has some of the worst game selection on the planet, if 'slightly below average' players are that good in his games.

RayGarlington
10-01-2004, 02:27 PM
Hey! I fold every hand too. Right now I'm losing about 13BB per hour, but hope to improve when I start multi-tabling.

CardCuda
10-01-2004, 02:32 PM
Breeding a bunch of weak-tighties..

I scored a 77...and cheated using SSH. I'm must be totally screwed. But i'll take Ed's maximize your edge, aggressive, crush 'em poker advice over this weak tight crap. just my 2c.

flair1239
10-01-2004, 02:42 PM
I read his columns and he has lots of weird ideas. This is pretty mild compared to some of the stuff he writes.

I think he must play better than this in real life. Either that or the European competition must be fairly weak.

B00T
10-01-2004, 03:56 PM
I got an 81, and felt that I was being too conservative. I would love to hear his reasoning behind these plays. Obviously the consensus here is fearing the SF, and folding with AKs is "redonkulous" as someone put it.

I only have one thing that pops into my head when I hear this clown mentioned...

ROFL @ ROLF

Noodles
10-01-2004, 04:28 PM
I metioned Rolf's fold AK thing in a post about a month ago and i said it was weak to me,next day i had a PM from Rolf asking was i a "Noodles" from the online poker school,he suspected i wasn't as he said that noodles "understood" his instructions.
Maybe he was a bit miffed with me.

Warik
10-01-2004, 06:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ROFL @ ROLF

[/ QUOTE ]

Henceforth we shall refer to Rolf's Quiz as ROFL's Quiz, because any decent poker player would ROFL after looking at the correct answers.

MrHorace
10-01-2004, 08:01 PM
Yeah, I got an 85, and had the same issues. Hmmm???

joker122
10-01-2004, 08:09 PM
So Rolf posts here?

jrobb83
10-01-2004, 08:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So Rolf posts here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed. I'm a little surprised he hasn't shown up to defend himself yet. Rolf Slotboom (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showprofile.php?Cat=&User=645&what=search&Forum=Al l_Forums&Words=&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&where=bodysu b&Name=645&daterange=1&newerval=1&newertype=y&olde rval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=)

tolbiny
10-02-2004, 12:16 AM
I think he must play better than this in real life. Either that or the European competition must be fairly weak.

Or he has to supplement his poker income with online poker "schools" and articles...

tolbiny
10-02-2004, 12:19 AM
Yeah i scored an 88- but as i read the questions i was trying to figure out what he would answer... AND i still only got an 88...
I don't know man... that was some kind of complex test- 14 questions to determine your poker knowledge, if only he would come up with one for chess, i could study for a week and end up a grandmaster!!!

TwoShedsJackson
10-02-2004, 07:58 AM
I got a 75 which I thought might be the lowest yet but alas and alack it was not to be. I'm crap at poker and even I could see some of his answers were rubbish, folding AKs to a preflop raise indeed.

I thought Rolf was an Omaha player anyway?

Noodles
10-02-2004, 11:01 AM
i just clicked on the link to his site,i was playing at party and str8 away the graphics went all weird i i had to leave ,had AK aswell
Be afraid ,be very AFRAID! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Noodles
10-02-2004, 11:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Henceforth we shall refer to Rolf's Quiz as ROFL's Quiz, because any decent poker player would ROFL after looking at the correct answers.

[/ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif
hehe he shall be known as ROFL Slotbum

Jimbobobb
10-02-2004, 12:01 PM
Chaz64 pointed out in the Microlimit version of this post, that this quiz is actually Bob Ciaffone's low limit quiz from a while back. Which might explain the extreme weak/tight thinking. Shame on Rolf for stealing!

Quiz (http://www.pokerpages.com/interactive/quiz/holdem01a.php3)

bisonbison
10-02-2004, 01:58 PM
Wow. Not good Rolf. Not good at all.

Noodles
10-02-2004, 02:05 PM
Exactly the same! Im shocked by that and this guy is a teacher on the pokerschool,holy shmoly

But isnt that advice even dafter for low limits,
Hmmm i am beginning to smell a conspiracy here,teach people bad habits so you get all the dough for yourself,
or are these guys just crapola?

colgin
10-02-2004, 02:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Chaz64 pointed out in the Microlimit version of this post, that this quiz is actually Bob Ciaffone's low limit quiz from a while back. Which might explain the extreme weak/tight thinking. Shame on Rolf for stealing!

[/ QUOTE ]

That is so uncool. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

bisonbison
10-02-2004, 02:17 PM
I mean, I'm honestly baffled by this. I could care less about PokerPages.com or PokerSchool, but this is ridiculously not cool.

Either the editors there know Rolf recycled content without attribution, which is terrible, or they don't know, which is terrible.

Brian
10-02-2004, 03:32 PM
Hey Bison,

Maybe he'll write a Part 2 explaining that Part 1 was all a joke and he was merely trying to point out weak-tight thinking? That would cover his ass for both giving out horrible advice and for stealing from Ciaffone.

-Brian

fluff
10-02-2004, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Quiz (http://www.pokerpages.com/interactive/quiz/holdem01a.php3)

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. Before the dude was just someone with questionable poker skills in my mind. Now he's just plain thief.

Sundevils21
10-02-2004, 04:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hey Bison,

Maybe he'll write a Part 2 explaining that Part 1 was all a joke and he was merely trying to point out weak-tight thinking? That would cover his ass for both giving out horrible advice and for stealing from Ciaffone.

-Brian

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if his intention was to do that(which I highly doubt it was) that would be majorly uncool. When you give advice in an article, you should do your absolute best to make sure it's correct given the circumstances.
I've never been a ROFL /images/graemlins/wink.gif fan, but now I feel cheated and abused as a cardplayer subsciber. I think I'll be sending out some emails.

spamuell
10-02-2004, 05:15 PM
Don't you all feel you're being a bit hasty in demonising Slotboom?

There could be lots of reasonable explanations for this. Maybe Slotboom asked Ciaffone and he said that he was fine if Slotboom wanted to use it but he no longer felt it was accurate to today's games and didn't want his name to be in the article.

Or maybe it's just some clerical error or an error made by the website designer or something.

There are several reasonable explanations for this, I don't really think it's fair to call foul play when we know so little about it. I really think it's unlikely to be plagiarism, it's hardly like there's no overlap between Slotboom and Ciaffone readers so he couldn't exactly hope to keep this quiet.

Sent
10-02-2004, 05:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

There could be lots of reasonable explanations for this. Maybe Slotboom asked Ciaffone and he said that he was fine if Slotboom wanted to use it but he no longer felt it was accurate to today's games and didn't want his name to be in the article.

Or maybe it's just some clerical error or an error made by the website designer or something.

There are several reasonable explanations for this, I don't really think it's fair to call foul play when we know so little about it. I really think it's unlikely to be plagiarism, it's hardly like there's no overlap between Slotboom and Ciaffone readers so he couldn't exactly hope to keep this quiet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said

-Sent

jrobb83
10-02-2004, 05:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the first is plausible, but the second most likely. And the second I believe is far more likely than Rolf simply stealing the exact quiz, word for word, from Ciaffone without giving credit.

I'm not saying I know that much about Rolf, but I seriously doubt he would jeapordize his career by doing something this blatantly stupid.

bisonbison
10-02-2004, 06:35 PM
hehehe. Hey, I didn't mean to imply that the man is evil, just that it's either A) sloppy or B) bad. And the editor's should have made clear why the quiz is being re-used.

You with your reasonableness.

Sundevils21
10-02-2004, 07:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I did speak too quickly.
Still, I don't understand what he could be thinking here. The advice is bad IMO. I guess that itself doesn't condenm him but the fact that it's not even his quiz just seems to get under my skin. How hard is it to preface the quiz with "this is a past quiz by Bob Ciaffone and I'm using it to explain, blah blah"?

elindauer
10-02-2004, 07:41 PM
lol. I got the exact same score. What a joke. I've never understood why "expert" hold 'em quizzes so frequently involve answers that are obviously extremely close and debatable. For example "I don't believe in stealing a lot"... what is that? You have to be kidding me.

Good luck.
Eric

Kurn, son of Mogh
10-02-2004, 08:14 PM
I'm still stunned by his answers to #6 & #7. Even against a fairly tight raiser (AA-JJ, AK, AQ) you have him dominated or have 2 overcards (and can play with confidence postflop) over 60% of the time. And 60% of the rest of the time, you're dead even.

Re: his #3. I've always heard that if you can't play AJo profitably UTG, the game's too tough, get out. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

uw_madtown
10-02-2004, 08:29 PM
I scored a 71, the lowest so far. My uber-aggression would apparently given ROLF an ulcer. I am teh winner.

Rolf Slotboom
10-02-2004, 09:56 PM
Hi guys,

The quiz you guys mention is not new at all. In fact, it is one of the first articles I ever wrote, somewhere in 2001. It was for the now demised Poker Digest magazine, way before the Internet poker boom, way before I had ever played a hand of Omaha. It was a simple quiz meant to be for relatively new and / or slightly below average players. (Of course, after doing this quiz they would probably STAY below average. /images/graemlins/smile.gif) A large part of the advice was about "staying out of trouble" and avoiding situations where one may get outplayed.

All in all, this article is more than three years old, and when it was added to the Poker Pages site it must have been the end of 2001 / the beginning of 2002, meaning it has been in the PP archives for a VERY long time already, so I don't know why now all of the sudden there's so much talk about it. In fact, some of the flawed advice in the quiz has been discussed on more than one occasion - just check out the archives on this and other sites. It is for this reason, and also because I am not too happy about the quiz myself (not just because some of the advice, but also the quality of the writing is rather poor), that I didn't come over here to defend myself.

Finally, I know that at one time PP has made an honest mistake by putting Mr. Ciaffone's name above my piece (if I remember correctly when PSO was started up) but probably because the article was written quite so long ago it may not have had priority to correct things. That's it; now you guys can go on and flame me some more. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

bisonbison
10-02-2004, 09:59 PM
Rolf, thanks for replying. Also, thanks for ruining all our fun by being reasonable.

colgin
10-02-2004, 11:03 PM
My apologies as well. I should have known there was a reasonable explanation for the Ciaffone mixup. Thanks for clearing that up.

All the best,

Colgin

tolbiny
10-02-2004, 11:03 PM
"Also, thanks for ruining all our fun by being reasonable"

I almost spit up my 8$ Shiraz when i read that- i gotta get better at poker so i can afford some decnt wine.

bisonbison
10-02-2004, 11:05 PM
Lindeman's?

tolbiny
10-02-2004, 11:07 PM
Alice White

Australian- i figure if it was worth sending across the largest expanse of water in the world, its gotta be worth $7.99

Jimbobobb
10-02-2004, 11:45 PM
I'm very sorry sir. I jumped to some conclusions there.

fluff
10-03-2004, 02:24 AM
In light of recent revalations, I am retracting my statement, with apologies.

Sundevils21
10-03-2004, 10:44 AM
Sorry Rolf. I don't know why I came out and attacked you before I knew the facts. Im not usually a judgemental person.
Once again, I apologize for all the things that I've said in this thread.
(For some reason I thought that this was your most recent Cardplayer article, but I was clearly mistaken)

BigBaitsim (milo)
10-03-2004, 12:50 PM
Rolf,

This is the internet. Reasonable and civil responses are not acceptable.

BigEndian
10-03-2004, 01:13 PM
That guy looks a lot like someone I put on his ear at the Bellagio 8-16 around the WSOP timeframe.

- Jim

BigBaitsim (milo)
10-03-2004, 01:38 PM
75. I play g00t.

Rolf Slotboom
10-03-2004, 09:48 PM
No problem, Sundevil. Thanks for your response, I really appreciate it.

Regards,
Rolf.

Mikey
10-05-2004, 11:20 AM
Hey Bob, welcome to the Boards.

kalooki45
10-06-2004, 02:07 PM
I've been playing poker now for 1 month. Read 2 beginner books, and got a 74.
This confirms my suspicion that a) I am rubbish b)I am destined for poverty c) I should return to bridge...lol