PDA

View Full Version : why do people call when they know they are beat??

menthemaster
09-30-2004, 07:11 PM
man.... this stuff amazes me still.

just played a 20+2 sit and go on ultimate bet.... and down to 6 people.

i get dealt A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif and raise in late position. one caller.

(i am second in chips with 1800)

FLOP comes J 3 9

i put the caller ALL in.. for 800 chips.

he writes : "well, i am pretty sure you have me beat... but i can still get runner runner... or hit my last 2 outs.... so i will call"

yup..... u guessed it... turn is a Q and river is a 10 for his straight...

why would he do that? ugh... pisses me off!

Than my finishing blow in the tournament is 2 hands later when i am the big blind with K /images/graemlins/club.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

2 callers... small blind folds.

flop comes K 9 8

i go all in... and first guy folds.... last guy calls me for about 900 of his 1100 stack... with........... 10 Q

jack comes on river.... and i am out.

does this make sense to anyone? hmmmm.

BAD BEAT POLICE
09-30-2004, 07:30 PM
PEOPLE HAVE 1 OF 2 REACTIONS TO YOUR BAD BEAT STORY:

1. THEY DON’T CARE.

2. THEY ARE HAPPY.

PLEASE POST YOUR BAD BEAT STORIES AT www.RIVEREDAGAIN.com (http://www.RIVEREDAGAIN.com) AND QUIT CLUTTERING UP MY FORUM.

-BAD BEAT POLICE

P.S. YOU OWE ME $1.

SmileyEH
09-30-2004, 07:38 PM
solution:

cry cry cry cry cry

-SmileyEH

menthemaster
09-30-2004, 07:38 PM
it wasnt a bad beat story. it was a question... why do people call when they know they are beat?

people have 2 reactions to the bad beat police...

1. they think u are annoying..
2. they wish you would mind your own business.

good day mate.

emonrad87
09-30-2004, 07:46 PM
Its a very easy answer - they are gambling and dont really care about the money. They are playing for the thrill of hitting a miracle hand. Get used to it and stop complaining - this is the type of play that gives you an insanely high EV in these online tournaments.

AleoMagus
09-30-2004, 07:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
why do people call when they know they are beat?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
"... but i can still get runner runner... or hit my last 2 outs.... so i will call"

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like the guy answered your question pretty well already when you were chatting with him.

Regards
Brad S

codewarrior
09-30-2004, 08:18 PM
Ask yourself the question, "Why wouldn't I *want* them to?"

CrisBrown
09-30-2004, 08:29 PM
Hi men,

Your stress level will go down immensely if you memorize the following sentence: "I wanted that call, just not that outcome."

Cris

poboy
09-30-2004, 08:40 PM
Until you realize that this is exactly what you want to happen you are going to be very unhappy playing poker. Think about it, if they don't call you when you have them beat how are you going to make any money? If the only time you got called was when you didn't have them beat , that would mean they had you beat(much worse if you ask me).

codewarrior
09-30-2004, 08:40 PM
You are the Hemmingway to my Henry Ford. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

SmileyEH
09-30-2004, 08:55 PM
I love the bad beat police.

-SmileyEH

Irieguy
10-01-2004, 03:03 AM
The real answer can be found in Abraham Maslow's original draft of his Hierarchy of Needs. Unfortunately, his final draft was edited down to 5 needs (largely because the behaviorists at the time had proven that people shy away from shapes with an odd number of sides containing an even number of items; thus the decision to omit the second of 6 needs in the triangle to give his theory more mass appeal.)

Maslow's Original Hierarchy of Needs:

1. Physiologic Needs
2. THE NEED TO CALL
3. Safety Needs
4. Love Needs
5. Esteem Needs
6. Self-actualization

He explained (in a manner that was well ahead of his time), that after food and water, the most compelling human need is to call when somebody goes all-in. Interestingly, understanding this is the first step towards self-actualization.

Irieguy

ilya
10-01-2004, 11:36 AM
That was very funny. Hooray funny! Also, hooray beer! Aren't those ads great?

wjmooner
10-01-2004, 11:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
He explained (in a manner that was well ahead of his time), that after food and water, the most compelling human need is to call when somebody goes all-in. Interestingly, understanding this is the first step towards self-actualization.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was incredibly funny but true. Remember that the next time you check your great hands. They want to call!

Chris

Sam T.
10-01-2004, 11:48 AM
Now this is funny. Thanks Irieguy.

And if there's anybody here who has never shown down and lost with pocket Kings, knowing in your heart of hearts that you're beat because of the Ace on the board, I'll send you $50.

hectorjelly
10-01-2004, 12:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Now this is funny. Thanks Irieguy.

And if there's anybody here who has never shown down and lost with pocket Kings, knowing in your heart of hearts that you're beat because of the Ace on the board, I'll send you $50.

[/ QUOTE ]

You owe me $50, and also for the record; I love the bad beat police.

chill888
10-01-2004, 12:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The real answer can be found in Abraham Maslow's original draft of his Hierarchy of Needs. Unfortunately, his final draft was edited down to 5 needs (largely because the behaviorists at the time had proven that people shy away from shapes with an odd number of sides containing an even number of items; thus the decision to omit the second of 6 needs in the triangle to give his theory more mass appeal.)

Maslow's Original Hierarchy of Needs:

1. Physiologic Needs
2. THE NEED TO CALL
3. Safety Needs
4. Love Needs
5. Esteem Needs
6. Self-actualization

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL tx Irieguy.

I'm trying to remember my undergrad Psych: but if I understand your clear explanation, if the guy has just gone to take a dump and thus satisfied a critical physiological need, then he will almost certainly move up Maslow's hierarchy and Call the next all-in.

PuertoKid
10-01-2004, 09:41 PM
If he were Hemmingway the sentence would be even shorter and there would be no comma:

"I wanted that call not that outcome."

Irieguy
10-02-2004, 01:48 AM
Normally that would be true, and as Chris intimates above, it would therefore never be correct to slowplay. However wireless technology was not a consideration in Maslow's day... and it is now possible to play poker while simultaneously fulfilling basic physiologic needs.

I estimate my opponents are utilizing technology in this manner in about 4% of the hands I play. Therefore, I slowplay 4% of my big hands, just in case they are busy eating or relieving themselves. I have found that while people are less likely to call all-in when they are stuck on Maslow's first level... they are much more likely to bluff since bluffing is actually a physiologic need. (I'm not afraid to give away this secret because I randomize the 4% with a cool program eastbay wrote for me... making it impossible to counter even if you know how often I slowplay.)

Irieguy

DeuceKicker
10-02-2004, 02:13 AM
If The Fish Don't Win, The Fish Won't Play

DoctorJ
10-02-2004, 02:15 AM
I kid you not, Irie - I am lecturing in my college Personality Theory class on Maslow next week. Laughing my ass off right now...

DoctorJ