PDA

View Full Version : The Debates: Red, Amber, and Green Lights on the Podiums

Dynasty
09-30-2004, 06:58 PM
It should be somewhat amusing to watch the lights on the podiums in front of President Bush and Senator Kerry. Like in past debates, the candidates have a limited amount of time to answer questions. But this year, there will big a row of lights on top of the podium in full view of the viewing audience.

When a candidate has just 30 seconds left to answer a question, the green light will turn on. When there is only 15 seconds left, the amber light will come on. At 5 seconds, the red light comes on. If the candidate goes over on time, the red light will start flashing. I've heard that it's possible a buzzer will sound if the candidate goes way over on time or repeatedly violates the time rules.

The lights were added in the debate negotiations because the Bush campaign had watched Kerry's 1996 debates against Bill Weld in their MA Senatorial race. Kerry often went over on time and wasn't called on it.

Now a Presidential candidate who goes over on time risks getting "gonged". I just hope the masked comic will brought out on stage later in the show. He was always my favorite.

MaxPower
09-30-2004, 07:16 PM
After the red light goes off, Bush can mock Kerry's flip-flopping by asking, "Is that your Final Answer?"

Dynasty
09-30-2004, 08:58 PM
I just heard on TV that the buzzer will go off if a candidate goes over his time limit for a third time.

If that buzzer goes off, it's going to be sound bite of the debate (assuming nobody says "Terrorism is good").

riverflush
09-30-2004, 10:32 PM
I'm really pissed we didn't get to hear the buzzer...

I think with this debate we have moved one step closer to having a "Press Your Luck" style format - which I've always secretly hoped for. We need to have the debate categories on a video board with the square moving around...and GWB going "No WHAMMY, no WHAMMY, STOP!"

Then the category question will be read by Jim Leherer, and both candidates will have the opportunity to buzz in to answer first. If a candidate lands on a Whammy, he is then forced to give up his 90 second rebuttal on the next question.

I'd also like to see some Barker's Beauties thrown in as well.

And maybe Plinko.

Jimbo
10-01-2004, 12:06 AM
A member of Kerry's crew announced early this morning that they intended to remove the lights from Kerry's podium. I bet they were quite surprised to find the microphones attached to the lights. /images/graemlins/smile.gif
I can see it now, Kerry screaming at the top of his lungs in order to be heard and later muttering to himself, "Whose idea was it to remove my lights in the first place?"

Jimbo

The_Tracker
10-01-2004, 12:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It should be somewhat amusing to watch the lights on the podiums in front of President Bush and Senator Kerry. Like in past debates, the candidates have a limited amount of time to answer questions. But this year, there will big a row of lights on top of the podium in full view of the viewing audience.

When a candidate has just 30 seconds left to answer a question, the green light will turn on. When there is only 15 seconds left, the amber light will come on. At 5 seconds, the red light comes on. If the candidate goes over on time, the red light will start flashing. I've heard that it's possible a buzzer will sound if the candidate goes way over on time or repeatedly violates the time rules.

The lights were added in the debate negotiations because the Bush campaign had watched Kerry's 1996 debates against Bill Weld in their MA Senatorial race. Kerry often went over on time and wasn't called on it.

Now a Presidential candidate who goes over on time risks getting "gonged". I just hope the masked comic will brought out on stage later in the show. He was always my favorite.

[/ QUOTE ]

Foolish decision by the bush gang. Of course they had made lots of those.

But anyway, the light system backfired for bush this evening when you saw him run out of answers and he he still had time to speak. Several times bush just flat didn't know what else to say or just stopped even making sense so he just cut his answer off.

Kerry used his allotted time to speak with precision. The light system made it obvious bush was struggling for answers all night.

LOL /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

wacki
10-01-2004, 01:09 AM
I thought the lights were a good idea.

GWB
10-01-2004, 01:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I thought the lights were a good idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, Kerry was deathly afraid of going over his time limit. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Stu Pidasso
10-01-2004, 01:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Foolish decision by the bush gang. Of course they had made lots of those......Kerry used his allotted time to speak with precision.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. Kerry is obviously a more skilled debater than Bush. The Bush administration was wise about the lights to make sure Kerry got as little time as possible.

While watching the debate, I was trying do decide weather it was such a good ideal for Bush to keep asking for the additional 30 seconds because it also gave Kerry 30 more seconds. Kinda defeated the purpose of the lights IMO.

Stu